Mrboo And His Stupid "mild" Overclocking Troubles Again

Be ready for more bad news ... :(

Yep. It locked up during the 32M! I've added +0.1v to PCI-E to see if that does anything. Adding +0.1v to MCH and FSB definitely has an effect on stability here too. I tried with all voltages normal and just boosted vcore and it started crashing at 4M again. Increasing RAM or vcore did nothing to help. Putting back +0.1v to MCH and FSB fixed it again.

I'm looking at the IP35 Pro now, but I am not sure if the Scythe Zipang will fit with that northbridge cooler?

edit: 32M crashed about half way through with PCI-E +0.1v. Bummer. I'm now trying this test back at stock, RAM still on auto, just to see what happens. Looks like the Zipang should fit an IP35 Pro should I want to try one of those.

edit: 32M crashed again, on loop 15 ish......... at stock........... fantastic. Fed up.

Edited by markiemrboo

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am well on my way to giving up. It's failing superpi + 3 x memtest at stock speeds.

I have spent all day trying all sorts of settings. I've come to the conclusion it's very likely the board, as if it was the CPU, then adjusting RAM based settings would not affect the stability. It would be the CPU settings that affect the stability (with the CPU at stock this is, it's failing at stock!). So that leaves the RAM and board. If it were the RAM, then I wouldn't expect increasing the MCH to have affected the stability... and it did. Although I think that was at overclocked settings, where I guess it could have affected stability up to a point, and actually the RAM is faulty and that's why it's *really* failing at stock speeds.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on an IP35 Pro and just hoping, really really really hoping, that it is the board and not the RAM.

Edited by markiemrboo

Ha! I've made an awesome discovery. I tried this test of mine on my dual core laptop overnight and guess what? superpi mod crashed in much the same way! It even seemed to be in roughly the same place.

The test is to set as many instances of Windows memtest going as you need to fill up all available RAM, and then set superpi mod going on 32M. So superpi mod is obviously just buggy rubbish software I guess! Either that or I have two computers here that are unstable, one being a brand new laptop :)

How silly.

Ha! I've made an awesome discovery. I tried this test of mine on my dual core laptop overnight and guess what? superpi mod crashed in much the same way! It even seemed to be in roughly the same place.

The test is to set as many instances of Windows memtest going as you need to fill up all available RAM, and then set superpi mod going on 32M. So superpi mod is obviously just buggy rubbish software I guess! Either that or I have two computers here that are unstable, one being a brand new laptop :)

How silly.

Told you!!

If I run dual instances of spi one core instantly crashes...and if I switch cores the core that just failed passes, and the one that just passed fails instantly!

Buggy blah software! Does yours always pass super pi when running single and basically on it's own though, yes?

So I went back to the drawing board and tried to minimize vcore. It aint really happy below 1.3v setting in BIOS though it seems :( I don't like the way it seems to just reboot or lock up, rather than throwing an error like "normal". 1.28v ish was prime stable for 26 hours, but superpi mod crashes during a 1M run (original is fine). 1.3v seems to be able to do a 32M run on it's own, without any kind of multitasking going on. The fact that sometimes it doesn't want to run 1M superpi mod (not dual instances or anything, just a single, on it's own, with bugger all else running) does scare me though.

I just bought me a 24" monitor to try and keep me happy for a while. It's hell using 1900x1200 on the laptop or dual 1600x1200 at work and then coming back to a measily 19" 1280x1024. Everything looks massive! I wonder what is going to be wrong with the monitor :lol:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?HYD-W240D

S-PVA panel. Cheapest I could find that has a non TN panel (there is that Yuraku 24"...but I decided against it), and it's supposed to be pretty good. It's also got a nicely adjustable stand, and doesn't look *too* bad cosmetically from what I can tell. Now I need a new graphics card. 4870 please!

Edited by markiemrboo

Buggy blah software! Does yours always pass super pi when running single and basically on it's own though, yes?

So I went back to the drawing board and tried to minimize vcore. It aint really happy below 1.3v setting in BIOS though it seems :( I don't like the way it seems to just reboot or lock up, rather than throwing an error like "normal". 1.28v ish was prime stable for 26 hours, but superpi mod crashes during a 1M run (original is fine). 1.3v seems to be able to do a 32M run on it's own, without any kind of multitasking going on. The fact that sometimes it doesn't want to run 1M superpi mod (not dual instances or anything, just a single, on it's own, with bugger all else running) does scare me though.

I just bought me a 24" monitor to try and keep me happy for a while. It's hell using 1900x1200 on the laptop or dual 1600x1200 at work and then coming back to a measily 19" 1280x1024. Everything looks massive! I wonder what is going to be wrong with the monitor :lol:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?HYD-W240D

S-PVA panel. Cheapest I could find that has a non TN panel (there is that Yuraku 24"...but I decided against it), and it's supposed to be pretty good. It's also got a nicely adjustable stand, and doesn't look *too* bad cosmetically from what I can tell. Now I need a new graphics card. 4870 please!

Single instances run fine, it is just when I run two that one of them crashes instantly and the other finishes.

Now I need a new graphics card. 4870 please!

I'm with you on that one!!!

lol. I am 99.99999% sure that the RAM is fine sitting at 2.05v, 5-5-5-16, 400MHz :) It runs cooler there too.

I'm giving it another overnight prime, but I expect it will pass fine now. It managed a 32M superpi without crashing. I get ~4700 CPU score in 3dmark06 CPU tests, which I think is roughly right. I shall need to try and leave it alone if it passes prime again, and try using it like normal for a week to see what happens :)

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee