Any Advice On New Build?

Rodafone

Hi all, been browsing the forums for the past weeks and doing alot of reading and i have now come to the point where i need a new pc and hope you guys can give me some advice. My pc just died and i need to get a new one sorted soon (please bear in mind that this is the first time i will be building a pc)

I will be mostly using this pc to do 2d/3d CAD/Photoshop drawings and computer renders of models, playing a few games on it, watching movies and listening to music.

I currently have a 20" LCD Lg monitor, which i would carry on using, but also have a 40" Sony Bravia TV, which i would like to be a ble to connect my pc to, to watch movies and play games.

I am looking to start up with 1xHDD and 1x8800GT graphics card, which i would like to increase to possibly 3xHDDs and 2x8800GT.

I was thinking of spending the bulk of my cash on the motherboard, PSU and Case, as form what i gather from reading around, this is the best place to spend your money. Speaking of money, i have about

I would try and save a few quid to get the GTS over the GT. Good choice of mobo + cpu (the P5K Premium is good value for money, people also like the Abit and the Maximus is the best, but pretty expensive). As for the cpu cooler, go for a thermalright 120 ultra.

Oh yea, go with vista 64bit, its better than XP and the 64bit will be handy if you want to go to 4gb of ram.

if you want to possibly do sli the get this board= http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813188024 . because with an intel based board you CANNOT run sli they do not have the support, you need eith a 680i,780i, or 790i. 680i is soon to be obsolete but are just about the same, 790i is basically 780i with a few small differences, 780i is 680i but has an integrated graphics controller and is priced just right, but you will not be able to overclock as far with an nvidia based boar, if you want high overclocks and dual graphics cards, got an intel x38 based board and an hd3870x2 or hd3870's, you will get the great high overclocks and a dual card setup that will do almost the same as 2x8800gt.

If you're planning on running SLI in the future, reconsider your choice of motherboards as SLI is not supported on P35 chipsets. As motherboards can get pricey as you climb into SLI compatibility, you could also consider switching to an ATi board (HD3870 would be around your price range) and go Crossfire with the P35 chipset. An X38 board would be better for Crossfire, but you might as well go with the 780i boards for SLI because they'll be around the same price.

EDIT: philbrown beat me to it ;P

Edited by EnervinE

Thanx guys,

I really wasnt sure about my options for the mobo, just seems like there are soooo many boards out there and its hard trying to swift between all of them.

I still think i would like to go down the SLI route and have highlighted the following boards to choose from, dont know what you guys think, but hopefully you will think they are adequate:

http://www.x-case.co.uk/p/481615/asus-skt-...ood-for-oc.html

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....9-EA&tool=3

The Asus is slightly cheaper than the EVGA, but they are both about the same.

I was wondering if anyone had any comments on the cases, i have heard some good things about the Antec P182, but it doesnt have the a removable motherboard tray and is slightly more cramped than the Lian Li Armoursuit PC-P60, but cant really find loads of reviews about the Lian Li

Much appreciate the feedback :)

Do you really want the removable motherboard tray? If you do then go with the lian li case. I don't know what i would without the removable tray in my armor+ case. All I know is that I wouldn't want to tip my case over to remove components.

I also have to agree with the other guys. putting two 3870's together is the same as two 8800gt's in sli. In some cases the 3870's out do the 8800gt's. Or go for the 3870x2.

Edited by neddamttocs
removed image for reason of being inappropriate

Still debating about the case, but think it will be sorted out soon, once i decide on my mobo. soooooo............

I was womdering if anyone could recommend a mobo that can run a 8800GT, is future proof to run the next gen of graphics cards, but does not have to be SLI compatible.

I think i have gone off going SLI, as i doubt i would buy a second graphics card for atleast 6month (more likely a year) and by that time there would be new graphics cards out that i would better off getting.

So would appreciate any feedback from you guys, once again ..... Thanx :)

1066 memory is a waste on a Q6600. You'll never know the difference from DDR2-800, except it'll cost a lot more. Get a 800 set with good timings and save yourself some cash.

Thanx for all the advice :D

Well i think i have decided on all my components, but would just like some reassurances that i wont have any compatability issues with any of them, especially curious if the Xigmatek cooler will fit onto the P5K mobo and in the P182 case.

If all is well, then i will place my order for parts 2mrw :) fingers crossed

Antec P182 Advanced Super Mid Tower

Asus P5K Premium/WiFi-AP

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 SLACR, Kentsfield Core, Socket 775, 2.40 GHz 1066MHz 8MB Cache

Antec Quattro 850W Modular (this will allow more power for add ons in the future, was going to go for the Corsair HX Series 620W Modular)

Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 500GB ATA100 16mb cache WD5000AAKB

XpertVision GeForce 8800GT Sonic 512mb DD3,PCIe

OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-800C5 1066mhz Reaper Edition HPC Edition Dual Channel DDR2

Xigmatek HDT-S1283 (H.D.T.) 120mm PWM Fan x3 Heat-pipe LGA775/K8/AM2 Cpu cooler Quad Core Read

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste

Scythe S-FLEX 1200RPM Ultra Quiet 120mm Fan - 3/4 pin (x3)

Samsung SH-S203P/BEBN 20x DVD

That PSU is overkill, the Corsair is a solid psu and 620W is plenty. Also, as verran said, 1066Mhz memory is silly, it is much more expensive and the difference is a tiny. And i wouldnt get a Xigmatek HSF lol, the Freezer 7 is great for the money, and the Thermal Right 120 ultra is one of the best.