Av And As For Vista 64-bit??

kendellrt

I have installed Vista Home Premium 64-bit and need to find some anti-malware apps. Does anyone have suggestions? They need to be 64-bit compatible.

Windows Defender that is built into Vista does pretty well for me. I also installed Spybot but it has yet to pick up anything after I have run Defender. Imagine... a built in Microsoft product that actually works pretty well. :P

AFAIK, you don't need a 64-bit version of any single program... I've used AVG and Lavasoft (both 32-bit), just fine on my XP x64 for a year and a half. Vista 64 and XP 64 are both backwards compatible with 32-bit software, it'll just get installed into an x86 programs folder, separate from your 64-bit stuff. Only benefit of running that stuff would be faster speeds (negligible in those practices, your limited by HDD speed.. not by the core hardware).

And I've tried NOD32, cool program, but it's not free last time I checked (30 day trial).

I downloaded AVG and am using Defender. I really don't like AVG, though. I have removed a LOT of viruses on machines that were "protected" with AVG.

"Protected" or just installed but never run? Up until very recently AVG was not set to run automatically, this is probably one reason why it uses so few resources. Like I tell customers AVG works, it does it job, but it won't do that job until you tell it to actually do something.

Well thats more than I can say for most of my customers, but its still not actually scheduled to scan, but its better than nothing. I also enjoyed a conversation I had with a fellow that was fed up with constantly getting viruses, he had a virus scan, it was set to do everything automatically at 3AM. It finally hit me to ask him, "do you leave your computer on all night?" He said no as that uses up to much electricity. :lol:

I am not trying to advocate AVG or anything as I am not that much a fanboy of it, but you can't always take things at face value.

Spybot Search & Destroy + AVG. Both work well on Vista 64. CC Cleaner is also good for cleaning up the registry and other temp files. I run all 3 along with Scandisk before a HD defrag.

Edited by Psydotek

I've been using AVG (free ed.) for a couple years on my systems along w/ spybot and defender. Recently I thought I would give AVG's paid for version a go. It comes w/ an AS (formerly Ewido) and a few other features. I've never had a problem w/ virii or other malware.