8800 gt cooler

funko

Hi i was thinking of purchasing the geforce 8800 gt and i keep reading about it running really hot and loud. I was wondering what kind of cooling i should buy. But im not sure where u plug extra fans into? i have no pci slots available if they were to go there. Sorry if its a dumb question but what fan should i be looking at? also does having a fan in my computer take more wattage since im trying to run an 8800 on a 430w psu im kind of tight on wattage. thx

Guest ajmatson

For the second part nVidia recommends a minimum 400 W or greater system power supply with 12V current rating of 26 A. For the first question I have an EVGA 880GT SuperClocked Edition and it is not loud at all. Manufacturers coolers will more that suffice to cool the card or they would not sell them with lifetime guarantees :) . I know EVGA makes an AKIMBO Style cooler for their 8800GT cards. Hope this helps.

I have a BFG 8800GT OC, it got hot as $#@! running Crysis which resulted in a reboot (before I get flamed, this has happened to way too many people for it to be my computer configuration, memory error, etc etc etc and I have checked them all out) the proplem was solved by putting the fan to 100%, but this was like having a Jet engine installed in my computer without the benifit of insane speed. I purchased a cheap Evercool water system for the CPU and GPU (with ram sinks on the memory and mofsets) and I have had great luck ever since. Plus there is almost no noise coming out of my computer now.

[email protected]

CoolerMaster 750 Quad

EVGA 680I TR

For the second part nVidia recommends a minimum 400 W or greater system power supply with 12V current rating of 26 A. For the first question I have an EVGA 880GT SuperClocked Edition and it is not loud at all. Manufacturers coolers will more that suffice to cool the card or they would not sell them with lifetime guarantees :) . I know EVGA makes an AKIMBO Style cooler for their 8800GT cards. Hope this helps.

Hi i was thinking of purchasing the geforce 8800 gt and i keep reading about it running really hot and loud. I was wondering what kind of cooling i should buy. But im not sure where u plug extra fans into? i have no pci slots available if they were to go there. Sorry if its a dumb question but what fan should i be looking at? also does having a fan in my computer take more wattage since im trying to run an 8800 on a 430w psu im kind of tight on wattage. thx

Umm I am not sure exactly what you mean by "I have no PCI slots available" when you you're talking about plugging in fans :S

You should not be using a 430watt psu with a 8800gt. Even if it's a quality psu like PCP&C or Corsair it's not recommended. You should have 500Watt+ for sure, the corsair vx550w is a good psu.

If you don't have sufficient cooling throughout you case then it wont matter if you get a better gpu cooler since the air inside the case will be hot anyway.

To answer your question the best cooling solution for a 8800gt is the Thermalright HR-03 GT WITH fan.

And no disrespect but it's difficult to understand what you are asking or saying so if I gave an opinion about something and it was not related then just ignore it. :P

You should not be using a 430watt psu with a 8800gt. Even if it's a quality psu like PCP&C or Corsair it's not recommended. You should have 500Watt+ for sure, the corsair vx550w is a good psu.

errr...no, the 8800gt doesnt take THAT much power, a quality 430w should have no problems running a moderate system with an 8800gt. Of course a crappy 430w PSU...that's another story.

As for the heat, running one of the origional cooler designs I would say go ahead and make a new cooler purchase, however with the newer larger fan version of the cooler i havent had any problems and @ 50% fans speed it's not noticable over other system fans (of course if you have a "silent" PC this likely wont be the case and you can reevaluate your needs) I keep seeign these insane temps from ppls 8800GTs, yet of the three ive used the only one that gets close to "hot" (as in 75C+) is the older XFX a friend has with the tiny fan, even it stays reasonably cool in an a 90 deg F case (it was over 80F in his room when i was there earlier...) with 60% fan speed.

I say buy the card, see if you have problems, then if you want better overclocking or silent perormance THEN look into other coolers. That way if you're like the other friend with the evga and larger fan cooler and cant hear it @ the 45% fan speed it takes to keep it more than cool you havnet wasted any money.

:withstupid:

Get the card first, then think about cooling if you need it.

I don't know much about the performance of the Thermalright HR-03 GT that was mentioned.

I do know that it was a little on the expensive side for me, especially when the Accelero S1 is so good for little money.

As for your 430W PSU, again I agree it should be fine as long as it is something respectable.

well I, personally wouldn't recommend using even a quality 430watt psu because if he is getting a 8800gt then he must have a decent dual core cpu or maybe a quad core and because he is a member of OCC then I can only assume that he will be overclocking his hardware. Even a quality psu shouldn't be run near it's rated wattage it just will not last too long. Unless he's not an overclocker and has a midrange cpu sure go ahead it wont blow up but you don't have much headroom. But that's just my opinion :)

well I, personally wouldn't recommend using even a quality 430watt psu because if he is getting a 8800gt then he must have a decent dual core cpu or maybe a quad core and because he is a member of OCC then I can only assume that he will be overclocking his hardware. Even a quality psu shouldn't be run near it's rated wattage it just will not last too long. Unless he's not an overclocker and has a midrange cpu sure go ahead it wont blow up but you don't have much headroom. But that's just my opinion :)

You should buy a Kill-A-Watt and use it. You might be surprised how little power things actually use.

My PC at full cpu/gpu load with max OC is about 260W DC.

Bumping into this late, but all 7800GT coolers fit the 8800GT :thumbs-up: Spoke to a guy at the Arctic Cooling booth because they showed an 8800GT with an Accelero X1 and he said that the Silencer 5 Rev. 3 would also fit :)