Burner's Buffer Always Low When Copying Cds

Some_Guy_

Ok, here's the deal:

When I first set up my computer, about a year ago, I had a 40 GB fujitsu HDD and a LG 24X CD burner on one IDE channel, and the DVD-Rom on the other, only because for some reason the DVD drive didn't work when it had a slave present. Not sure why.

Anyway, copying CDs with that config was great. Burned at full speed, and sometimes went as high as 29X, with a full buffer.

I have since changed out the mobo, and this time it let me put the burner and DVD on the smae IDE channel. Thank God, since it allowed the HDD to actually run at UDMA 100.

Problem is, copying CDs with this config doesn't work so well. It goes down to about 6X, buffer sits around 1 or 2%, so it takes 10 or 15 minutes to copy, instead of the 3 it used to take.

I bought an IDE card, so I could put the burner and DVD on seperate IDE channels. No luck. I put both on the IDE card, so they were at least on the same IDE controller. Still not right.

Any ideas?

DVD: LiteOn LTD163 16X

Burner: LG GCE-8240B (8 meg buffer!) 24X10X40

HDD: Fujitsu 40 GB 7200 RPM

IDE card: Promise Ultra66

Mobo: MSI MS-6309 v. 2.0

CPU: P3 1 GHz

you sound like a smart guy so you probably already know this but i on the back of the drive their is a jumper make sure they are set correctly the cd burner to master the dvd to slave their is a pic on the drive that tells you where they are suppose to be.

A lot of times burners won't run at full burn speed because of a weaker power supply. When you changed your mobo did you add anything else? Like a new cpu or some other things that eat up a lot of wattage? Burners eat juice like crazy when they burn at full speed, so if they can't get all the juice they want they have to run at slower speeds.

They're both on master, as they're the only drives on their IDE channels. Burning from the hard drive is fine. It burns at full speed, so I don't suspect the power supply (it's a 300W model).

Ok so you're burning from one cd drive to the other? Then the one your reading from might not be able to keep up with how fast the Burner can burn. 300w sounds like it should be enough, but maybe with both cd drives trying to haul . at the same time, maybe it pulls a lot of juice.

Have you burned from cd to cd before the new mobo and it ran fine at full speed?

I can't seem to find drivers for either. LG says that the drivers Widnows installs for CD-ROM suppport are sufficient, and that all burning capability comes from the program I use (Easy CD Creator 5 platinum). LiteOn doesn't have any drivers at all.

you might try using a different type of software for burning maybe nero i was having compatability issues and when i changed software it helped i didnt have the same prob as you but similiar probs.