FSB & Memory balance

Koraxen

Hey guys!

I'm new to both overclocking & these forums, and I had a question. I just finished building my first rig, which is composed of a Q6600, XFX 780i, and OCZ 1066 SLI ready RAM.

I changed some options in the BIOS, including increasing the FSB from 1066 to 1333 in order to achieve a 3GHz overclock. I also have my memory set at 1066 MHz.

These two screenshots are from NVIDIA MonitorView and CPU-Z:

CPU-Z.jpg

MonitorView.jpg

I've read that an FSB 1:1 ratio is optimal. However, for safety, I don't want to push the ram to 1333 as well. Still though, why is CPU-Z showing the 5:8 FSB:DRAM ratio seen above? Do you guys find this to be a good configuration?

Thanks!

- Koraxen

533/8 = 66.625

66.625*5 = 333.125

333.125*4 = 1332.5 which is your FSB(Quad-pumped as intel does it).

OC looks good, provided it's stable, but you could probably squeeze more out of the Q6600.

Thanks!

And yeah, I've read of some people pushing it to 3.6GHz and above. I guess I'm just being conservative.

- Koraxen

Edited by Koraxen

Thanks!

And yeah, I've read of some people pushing it to 3.6GHz and above. I guess I'm just being conservative.

- Koraxen

something else for your brain to chew on is that @ 3.0ghz, you've achieved a 600mhz OC - which is very impressive in and of itself. that these Q6600's can hit 3.6ghz or 4.0ghz or higher w/proper cooling is just incredible.

now, I'm not saying that you should stop @ 3.0ghz - but I am saying that running your Q6600 @ 3.0ghz 24/7 is surely nothing to be ashamed of. at least, I hope not - I intend on running @ 3.0ghz as my daily driver. :)

there is a great bit of info in this thread concerning the plateau at which RAM speeds may not matter so much anymore. this may allow you to get closer to 1:1.

keep pushing, as these chips are just fantastic OC-ers. always be mindful of your temps, and of course - good luck :thumbs-up:

Am i right in seeing that you are using a Vcore of 1.45V for a 3Ghz OC?! That is a very high voltage to get that OC. My Q6600 was able to get to 3.1Ghz on stock volts (1.288V in CPU-Z, 1.325V BIOS) and it is now folding 24hr stable at 3.608Ghz with 1.4V CPU-Z, 1.425V BIOS.

I would set it back to stock volts, and push until it crashes when under load from Prime95, and then bump up the volts and run it again. This is what i have been doing to get the highest stable OC that i can, while maintaining resonable temps.

For reference, my temps are 70oC on the warmest core under prime95, but only 56oC under Folding, so i am happy with this setup. I wouldnt Want 70oC for everyday usage.

Am i right in seeing that you are using a Vcore of 1.45V for a 3Ghz OC?! That is a very high voltage to get that OC. My Q6600 was able to get to 3.1Ghz on stock volts (1.288V in CPU-Z, 1.325V BIOS) and it is now folding 24hr stable at 3.608Ghz with 1.4V CPU-Z, 1.425V BIOS.

I would set it back to stock volts, and push until it crashes when under load from Prime95, and then bump up the volts and run it again. This is what i have been doing to get the highest stable OC that i can, while maintaining resonable temps.

For reference, my temps are 70oC on the warmest core under prime95, but only 56oC under Folding, so i am happy with this setup. I wouldnt Want 70oC for everyday usage.

I got a funky 780i board that absoultely would not OC at all, no matter what - that got returned to Tiger on Monday. got this new DFI board yesterday (EEK - 4 days w/out a PC), and am playing w/it now. I'm very aware that 1.45v is a little much :)

lol... it's not high at all if you have a VID of 1.325v or so...

my Q6600 needs a lot of voltage... you can't tell other people what voltage they do or do not need... unless maybe you have the same motherboard, same cooling, same climate, same CPU, same VID, same week, same batch... then maybe you might be able to compare... otherwise, no

lol... it's not high at all if you have a VID of 1.325v or so...

my Q6600 needs a lot of voltage... you can't tell other people what voltage they do or do not need... unless maybe you have the same motherboard, same cooling, same climate, same CPU, same VID, same week, same batch... then maybe you might be able to compare... otherwise, no

well, of course you're spot-on with all that, nrg. I think we were just - possibly incorrectly - agreeing that 1.45v might be a little high for most Q6600's (that we've seen or read about) @ 3.0ghz. we probably fell into that very stupid "generalizing" trap there. :)

on the side - do you really need 1.45 to hit 3.0ghz on your chip, nrg?

I want to be conservative because I can't financially afford to ruin something. I plan on having this machine for a few years.

That being said, could 1.45V actually be harmful? I know that temperature is not a problem, since it only reaches a maximum of 55 C under full load.

I'll try to take it down a bit though, if you guys still think I should.

do you really need 1.45 to hit 3.0ghz on your chip, nrg?

erm... I can't remember... probably... it might have been the DFI 680i though... I've still got to rebuild the rig with the new DFI 680i... so maybe the new board won't be such a pain in the arse to oc on lol