Which Ram

blackwatch

Hi,

Your E8400 uses a FSB of 333 MHz, so you need at least RAM at the same frequency, but if you plan to overclock, you can buy RAM that has a higher frequency, so you could OC your CPU without OCing your RAM

You cannot do this with RAM @ 333 Mhz( Don't forget to divide the written number by 2, since it's Double-Data Rate ex: 667 Mhz memory = FSB 333 Mhz), because if you want to stay in a ratio 1:1 RAM/CPU, which gives the best performance, you would need to OC your RAM at the same time as your CPU.

Hope it helps you,

The Smith

Edited by The Smith

what about...Mushkin HP PC2-8500 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-18

Seems decent, but what's the price? The Crucial overclocks very well and is only $50.

Edited by Bleeble

With 1066 Mhz RAM, meaning a FSB of 533 Mhz, you got a free 200 Mhz (533-333) to OC you CPU, which is, perhaps, maybe too much, depending on your cooling system.

But you can buy RAM with a lower FSB and OC it a little bit, as for example you could take 800 Mhz.

Check for timings, too. If you OC your RAM, you can loosen the timings to make them more stable when OCed.

Edited by The Smith

With 1066 Mhz RAM, meaning a FSB of 533 Mhz, you got a free 200 Mhz (533-333) to OC you CPU, which is, perhaps, maybe too much, depending on your cooling system.

But you can buy RAM with a lower FSB and OC it a little bit, as for example you could take 800 Mhz.

Check for timings, too. If you OC your RAM, you can loosen the timings to make them more stable when OCed.

That "free" 200MHz isn't very free if he pays three times as much for the RAM. ;)

Mushkin is not a bad choice at all. The XP line is hard to beat.

/me looks at the dead XP2-9200 in my desk drawer <_<

Even so it was some good stuff, but for the price vs performance I would DEFIANTLY go ballistix again (after all I've hit within a few mhz of the same top speed with both the 9200 and the 5300 ballistix) Factor in my Crucial support vs Mushkin support experiences and I think it's a no brainier for myself (Remember the Mushkin is dead and still here, the ballistix replacement was here in <4 days from time of death)

Personally for a 2GB kit I would be looking for the cheapest D9 based ram I could find, it's what I did back when I got the Ballistix, granted back then it was a steal at $150 :lol: (for reference around this time the XP2-9200 was ~$400)