power draw of an L.E.D.

SpY

Hey guys 1st post here :ph34r:

Ive have a question about the draw on a L.E.D. i have. it says it draws 350 milliamps @ 12v. Will there be a problem hooking this up to a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 psu? Looks like most others draw much less... mostly 5Ma but have seen some random ones around 700Ma but thoes are also CCFLs Just want to be sure smoke=bad ....in most cases

Im doing a complete new built, with any luck everything will be here by the end of the week and ill post up in the build thread, should be nice 2500-3k build :D and if this LED will work without causing any problems it should be like the sun (hopefully it wont run as hot as the sun lol ) with one LED B:) lol

Thanks

Mike

5v I believe is the power needed to run an LED, or at least thats the volts we run them at on our Breadboards at school.

Edit: Just read that the power consumption can vary quite a bit depending on the LED you have but I think the standard is 3 volts or 5 volts. You'll have to check the specs on the LED you want to use I suppose.

And welcome aboard!! Be sure to check out our review section for top notch reviews on the latest and greatest equipment!

:thumbs-up:

Edited by pogs16a2

LEDs have many different voltage depending on color and size. Some even have a built in resistor so it can take a high voltage straight

And 350ma is a lot for a small LED, but nothing to get bent out of shape about. (350ma/1000=.35ampsx12v=4.2 watts)What kind is it?

awesome guys thanks, its an automotive led with built in circuitry or something, probably just a resistor ...maybe 2 cost is $38 shipped expensive i know but i hate crappy lights and every worse inverters, if i just need one it will be money well spent esp with less clutter too

Specs...

The world's brightest 1 watt Luxeon LED in a compact 12V DC platform.

Low amp draw and a light weight construction gives this super bright LED many areas of utilization as a functional light source and a crowd pleaser!

The applications for these LED's are endless. Use them to light your interior, your wheel wells, under the hood, under your rig, or anywhere you need low voltage lighting.

- Aluminum LED bracket measures 1" wide by 4.250" long and .375" high

- 180 degrees of light dispersion comes from this Luxeon LED

- Draws only 350 milliamps of 12V DC power

- 100% waterproof and virtually indestructible

- Illuminate an area approximately 6 feet by 6 feet squared

- A 50,000 hour life span should outlast your vehicle

research is over and everything should be in the mail by mon some things already are, im excited beyond belief, this old 2.8 8x agp is going to the wife lol :D

thanks again

Mike

it draws 350 milliamps @ 12v. Will there be a problem hooking this up to a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 psu?

The PCP&C 750 has 60 Amps on the 12v rail... if you ran nothing but those Luxeon LEDs on it (0.35A each) you could run like 180 of them...

Also it would look like your computer has a warp drive or something with that amount of light lol

The PCP&C 750 has 60 Amps on the 12v rail... if you ran nothing but those Luxeon LEDs on it (0.35A each) you could run like 180 of them...

Also it would look like your computer has a warp drive or something with that amount of light lol

lol thats funny, and for the cost of 180 of them it better be a working warp drive app $6k just in LEDs heh :glare:

with any luck 1 will give me the results im looking for, ill keep you all informed

Mike

awesome guys thanks, its an automotive led with built in circuitry or something, probably just a resistor ...maybe 2 cost is $38 shipped expensive i know but i hate crappy lights and every worse inverters, if i just need one it will be money well spent esp with less clutter too

:blink: $38 for two LEDs (even Luxeons) is crazy expensive. You can buy two 3 watt Luxeon flashlights off of eBay for about $15 shipped and pull the LEDs out. ;)