Which video card will run with my PSU?

RedDragon

Want to upgrade my vid card without having to upgrade my PSU at the same time, budget is $150~180

will this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817182010

handle this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814102717 ? or should I go with a HD3850 or 2900 GT? I game @ 1440x900

Edit, just now found out the links were broken, fixed them now, anyways went ahead and ordered the HD 2900 Pro I believe my PSU can handle it.

Edited by RedDragon

the 2900 will eat your Rosewill alive, you may want to rethink that order. 35Amp on the 12v rail isnt bad but it is rosewill. the 1900 can handle everything but crysis with ease at 1440x900 on the highest settings. it would be much smarter to change your PSU.

I would have went with a 3850 instead but thats still not a bad card and I think your PSU SHOULD be fine, but then again it's a Rosewill...

It was reviewed by johnnyguru and got a 8.5 out of 10 which is good enough for me.

That PSU is not that good... maybe you should upgrade it while you're at it :)

Powercolor X1950Pro 256MB PCI-Express - 120$

Seasonic SS-400ES 400W PSU - 60$

Yes yes, less watts and all, but still a better PSU than that Rosewill junk!

Why a X1950 Pro? not worth the upgrade if I'm going to see a 5% increase, going to the next gen. And my X1900GT was $80 when I got it, not worth going to the 1950 imho.

the 2900 will eat your Rosewill alive, you may want to rethink that order. 35Amp on the 12v rail isnt bad but it is rosewill. the 1900 can handle everything but crysis with ease at 1440x900 on the highest settings. it would be much smarter to change your PSU.

If it craps out, I'll use the money I would have spent on the more expensive 3850 to replace it :D

Johnny Guru reviewed the RP550-2 ;) If you want to have a go, go ahead, but I do agree with the guys that the 2900 series GPUs pulls LOTS of power! Trust me, I have one! I couldn't run an E6400/2GB/2900XT combination off of a 500W BeQuiet PSU (very good brand), but then again your AMD will not be as heavily OCed and will consume less power anyways :)

If it craps out, I'll use the money I would have spent on the more expensive 3850 to replace it :D

Unless it craps out the same way the last time I worked on a PC with a PSU that craped out did, it took out the motherboard with it, so you'll be replacing that POS and your motherboard...maybe more.

Johnny Guru reviewed the RP550-2 ;) If you want to have a go, go ahead, but I do agree with the guys that the 2900 series GPUs pulls LOTS of power! Trust me, I have one! I couldn't run an E6400/2GB/2900XT combination off of a 500W BeQuiet PSU (very good brand), but then again your AMD will not be as heavily OCed and will consume less power anyways :)

I know, talked to johnny and he said as long as mine had the same UL number as the one reviewed I'd be fine.

Edited by RedDragon