Light gaming suggestions

Crisis

Looking to build a really cheap PC for gaming because I want to use my current parts in an old HTPC so it can handle HD material. I currently have an ASUS M2N-E with an AMD 5600+ and a Radeon 1950XT.

The idea is to get a cheap quad core system. So far I've found an ASUS M3A board at $95 and a Phenom 9500 for $229. I'd probably get a Radeon 3870 to go along with that. Is there any cheaper solutions going the Intel route or even with AMD? I would like to shop locally so my options are http://wintroniccomputers.com/wintronics/index.jspa (they price match with the big guys) and tigerdirect.ca (don't like their service or prices).

Well if you're dead set on a quad, the Phenoms are the cheapest, but with the low price comes low performance. Honestly, for "light gaming" purposes, I think an Intel E6750 would be WAY better.

Might keep what I have and just get another 5600+ with a Biostar TA690G-AM2. Cheap way to get HD on an HTPC.

For the HTPC what RAM would you reccomend from here http://wintroniccomputers.com/wintronics/v...a?category=ddr2 I see a lot of single stick 2GB modules. I won't be OCing so I won't need anything too fancy. With a Vista 32bit system if I had 4GB would the 3rd unrecognized gig of RAM be used for the onboard video by any chance?

yeah don't buy a phenom! I love amd but, they bombed hardcore on it. they are virtually unoverclockable and not to mention the l3 cache problems aka erratum. if you want quad grab a q6600 they are not much more than a phenom. but if you just want to pick up anothe dual core I would suggest a black edition cpu, unlocked multi!

Would you be ordering these online or going into one and picking them up? if picking up which one?

might i also suggest taking a look at www.canadacomputers.com

I shop there quite often and the only reason I won't for this one is because I want a cheap and easy fix for the HTPC locally. If it was a whole system I would drive into Mississauga or TO. Anyone have any suggestions on the RAM at wintronics from my previous post?