DFI Woahs :(

This . always happens with DFI setups with me for some reason.

Specs:

DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R

Q6700

4GB (2x2gb) OCZ Reaper HPC CL4

ATI X850XT PCI-E

Antec Smart Power 450w

This is my first Intel rig, anyway, my concern is my PSU doesnt have the 8-pin 12v (or 5v - whatever connection that is, by the CPU) Instead it has the 4 pin. However the manual clearly states if your powersupply doesn't have the 8pin connection, just plug the 4 pin in.

What happens is I turn on the system, with the Power button on the MB. No DIAG LEDS turn on, fans spin, everything runs.. No POST/BIOS, the machine turns off, then turns itself back on. Still, no video.

I'm about to go to frys and buy a new Power supply just to rule that out, or try a PCI video card. Any help ASAP would be great, thanks in advance.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That PSU is probably bare-minimum to run that rig, I'd replace it even if it was booting properly right now.

To just get it booting up I would take out all but one stick of ram, use no hard drive, and use an old PCI video card.

BTW - it's "woes." :P

That PSU is probably bare-minimum to run that rig, I'd replace it even if it was booting properly right now.

To just get it booting up I would take out all but one stick of ram, use no hard drive, and use an old PCI video card.

BTW - it's "woes." :P

im only use 1 stick in the first DDR2 slot.... No HDD...Basically everything but the PCI card.

That PSU is definetly the culprit! It's a decent PSU, but just not up to the task of powering a Quad core CPU! I'd invest in a decent new 500-600W PSU, especially since you want to run a 8800GT with that soon as well ;)

Ok let's think about this a little bit, before proclaiming the PSU IS the problem. While it may very well be the problem, any quality 400w PSU should have no issues at least getting such a system to post, and the one he has should easliy fit that.

Now the BEST thing to do is someone remind me what the "No DIAG LEDS turn on" "code" from the board means (I <3 boards with REAL post code displays) then if that's not power related try fooling around with whatever it IS related to.

Now with that said a new PSU would certainly be a safety net and likely more of a requirement when you start overclocking things. I would pull everything out of the case (if you havent) and do the bare minimums as above, however the whole on the off then back on thing is 100% normal with many P965 boards so it seems likely that it would still be true with the P35 boards. It's that that whole no video thing, at the same time though my P5B-E has taken up to 30 seconds to display anything in the past when clearing configs/swapping out parts, so it's possible that you just gave up on it too soon :lol:

Another thing, many boards dont like to auto increase voltage on ram above the 1.8v spec, if i remember that kit is 2.0/2.1v stock, with the general instability of 4GB kits that may also be playing a role in it not booting.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Ok let's think about this a little bit, before proclaiming the PSU IS the problem. While it may very well be the problem, any quality 400w PSU should have no issues at least getting such a system to post, and the one he has should easliy fit that.

Now the BEST thing to do is someone remind me what the "No DIAG LEDS turn on" "code" from the board means (I <3 boards with REAL post code displays) then if that's not power related try fooling around with whatever it IS related to.

Now with that said a new PSU would certainly be a safety net and likely more of a requirement when you start overclocking things. I would pull everything out of the case (if you havent) and do the bare minimums as above, however the whole on the off then back on thing is 100% normal with many P965 boards so it seems likely that it would still be true with the P35 boards. It's that that whole no video thing, at the same time though my P5B-E has taken up to 30 seconds to display anything in the past when clearing configs/swapping out parts, so it's possible that you just gave up on it too soon :lol:

Another thing, many boards dont like to auto increase voltage on ram above the 1.8v spec, if i remember that kit is 2.0/2.1v stock, with the general instability of 4GB kits that may also be playing a role in it not booting.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Well i'm running only 2gb right now, just tom go see if i can get it to post.. I hope my giving up too soon didn't crap up the BIOS/CMOS...ill try clearing it - again, and wiating it out.

Oh and I always test rigs outside the case with just RAM CPU and video before installing it all :)

Edited by p8baller07

Ahh, cchalogamer to the rescue! I totally forgot about RAM voltage here :D If you can p8baller, get some ultra-el-cheapo 256/512MB DDR2-3200/DDR2-4200 which will boot at 1.8V's (specd at 1.8V's) and boot up, set voltage to 2.1V's (or higher, dunno what the Reaper's take), and swap the sticks, and off you should go ;)

Ahh, cchalogamer to the rescue! I totally forgot about RAM voltage here :D If you can p8baller, get some ultra-el-cheapo 256/512MB DDR2-3200/DDR2-4200 which will boot at 1.8V's (specd at 1.8V's) and boot up, set voltage to 2.1V's (or higher, dunno what the Reaper's take), and swap the sticks, and off you should go ;)

I doubt my ram is the cluprit. Although it does run at 2.1v for CL4. I doubt it won't post 1.8 at CL5 which is what i'm sure DFI's stock timings are.

well the same thing happened to me with the motherboard I bought from you, no post. Brand new video card and nothing! Oh and I found out that my old video cards were in excellent working order, and so was everything else! Gotta be the motherboard, oh well I just upgraded anyway!