Vista 32 and 64 ?

nacano

Anyone who wants 64-bit should go with Vista. Those driver/compatibility issues you talked about? They're mostly in XP, not Vista. And most companies aren't going to worry about 64-bit XP.

I thought this too. I tried XP64 several times over the course of the first year or two, and it was always weak and I always had trouble finding drivers. I figured it was dead in the water once Vista was announced. I was wrong though. XP64 has really matured in the driver department which honestly doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm not arguing.

For those who can't be lured by DX10 and pretty menus alone, XP64 is a solid alternative.

i have had no driver issues AT ALL running vista ultimate x64 great OS !!!!!!

cant get coretemp to work or tat.... thats my only gripe (if i can call it that)

apart from that i have not downloaded 1 program that has failed to load and it found all of my hardware and installed most without the driver discs

problems with vista are usually hardware related and as such vista gets trashed cos their rigs wont run it

go for x64 ...at the rate new hardware is being churned out wont be long before x32 is obsolete

Edited by skunksmash

OK, so is 64bit Vista Home Premium ok or should one get 64bit Vista Ultimate? I don't see those few extra features that useful to me for the money. Also, 64bit Vista Home Premium is cheaper than 64bit XP Pro. I use XP Pro at work and like it but I don't play games on it. I am sold on 64bit now, I just keep going back and forth on XP Pro and Vista. I am leaning towards Vista since I don't mind startup delays, it's the runtime performance I care about and there really isn't much difference in that area.

The other thing to consider is the next OS Microsoft is working on now and if XP Pro will be supported until that time. If I remember correctly that is only a couple years away and XP support ends in 2009. (or is that just new builds). Bah, there is too much to keep up with, my head hurts.

I chose Vista Home Premium over Ultimate. I too didn't think the additional cost was worth it for my needs.

As for XP 64 vs. Vista 64...when it comes to gaming, Vista 64 is definitely the better choice. XP 64 is seen as "Windows Server" platform to programs, and thus some games may not install. Someone using XP 64 can tell you if there are workarounds for that.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the 32bit Vista Ultimate for my rig, If you haven't bought the disks yet I would recommend just getting the OEM version of the 64bit Vista Ultimate. Its really not that much more. I am a completionist though and i like to have it all. The only reason I didn't get the 64bit is because I used it in a buddys computer and couldn't really tell the difference. And heard that finding drivers was a pain.