Grainy DVD playback

Threeleggedyoyo

Here's my question: QuickPlay on an hp Pavillion dv9000 with Vista has grainy picture alla sudden. It only happens when watching DVDs. Can't figure out the deal. It worked great for a long time.

I contacted HP and they told me to try some codecs. I installed them, but it didn't help anything.

The graininess is across all videos as well as all players.

The weird thing is that it worked great for months and now it's doing this all the sudden. I think it has to do with an NVidia driver, but rollling back and trying everything I can find hasn't made a difference, either.

I want to avoid restoring it to factory condition AGAIN...

After trying what they said, I sent them another email and now they're talking about sending me an optical drive and having me ship my computer out. Bull. It's worked fine for months and I haven't dropped it or something. So here I am.

Thanks a lot

~Brent

Edited by Threeleggedyoyo

I think it has to do with an NVidia driver, but rollling back

Have you tried updating it instead of rolling back?

I contacted HP and they told me to try some codecs. he graininess is across all videos as well as all players.

Download this codec pack www.cccp-project.net

Download this video player www.videolan.org

I want to avoid restoring it to factory condition AGAIN...

Have you tried Windows Restore to a date where this wasn't happening?

Have you tried updating it instead of rolling back?

Download this codec pack www.cccp-project.net

Download this video player www.videolan.org

Have you tried Windows Restore to a date where this wasn't happening?

Ok, lets see if this CCCP thing works. Thanks.

Yes, I've tried updating. I've tried just about every nVidia driver I can find. If there's a certain one I should try, let me know. The HP site is confusing becuase I can't find anything that's just plain 'dv9000.' Every driver that specifies that model has other wacky numbers after it.

Unfortunately I didn't set up any restore points... embarrasing. My method of backing up has been storing files occasionally on an external hard drive, which has proven useful other times when I've nuked it back to factory land. But it doesn't effect programs.

~Brent

Edited by Threeleggedyoyo

Could there be some picture setting you've messed with (ex: contrast, color, etc) in the nvidia control panel? You could try going into the control panel and setting everything back to default. Are you sure you're running at your display's native resolution?

Could there be some picture setting you've messed with (ex: contrast, color, etc) in the nvidia control panel? You could try going into the control panel and setting everything back to default. Are you sure you're running at your display's native resolution?

I'm pretty sure I haven't, but if you can tell me how to get to those things I'd like to check them...

~Brent

on the underside of the laptop there SHOULD be a sticker that says a full model number..."HP DV9640US" or something like that.

Aha. Thanks! dv9205us. I don' t know how I missed that earlier when I looked for serial numbers.

Let's see if the two NVidia drivers under that number make a difference. I doubt it will, though, because it doesn't describe the problems I'm having as things it can fix. But let's find out.

~Brent

Aha. Thanks! dv9205us. I don' t know how I missed that earlier when I looked for serial numbers.

Let's see if the two NVidia drivers under that number make a difference. I doubt it will, though, because it doesn't describe the problems I'm having as things it can fix. But let's find out.

~Brent

Nope. :( Still bad... any other ideas?

~Brent

It could be the DVD-ROM or you set your Nvidia options to have Noise (fuzzy stuff).

If it's the DVD-ROM, what would I do?

As far as the NVidia options... it doesn't have any! It's got this crippled options thing... don't get me started. Long story short is a lot of people have an issue where you can't adjust any of them, and I'm one of them.

Figure out what GPU chipset you've got and get the latest drivers from Nvidia, not HP. ;)

I'd love to, but this has proved difficult.

I have the GeForce Go 6150. But when I go to their site to look for my particular model, it is really hard to figure out which I should get because it is never mentioned by name. http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

I tried downloading the drivers for the 6 series, but when I tried to install it my computer told me I had no compatible hardware.

Any ideas? :blink:

Thanks again everyone

~Brent