Removed the IHS on my Opty -

Waco

I just used a disposable razor blade and some solvent. I need to fix my heatsink mounting bracket though, as it doesn't have enough pressure right now to keep it 100% level on the core (but it does boot up and run perfectly, it just gets too hot).

I'll post up pics when it's done.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just used a disposable razor blade and some solvent. I need to fix my heatsink mounting bracket though, as it doesn't have enough pressure right now to keep it 100% level on the core (but it does boot up and run perfectly, it just gets too hot).

I'll post up pics when it's done.

Sweet! I'm planning on doing my a64x2 tomorrow!

Well that was a waste of time. One core still reads higher than the other and it doesn't overclock any more than it did before on core 0.

Dammit. It's just my luck I get the one Opteron that crap out on 2.5 GHz with one core yet the other will do 3.1 GHz all day long.

@ Waco, did you change your mounting bracket accordingly?

Yep. The heatsink is making perfect contact with the core (and I lapped the heatsink while I was at it too). The temps dropped about 3 C for each core in CoreTemp though, so I guess it did some good. Core 0 still craps out a couple minutes into any prime run over 2.55 GHz. Core 1 ran for over an hour at over 3.1 GHz (with only a 1.45 vcore as well!).

Stupid Opty. I think I'm going to ask for a new mobo and a C2Q for xmas. I'm tired of screwing with this stupid 939 platform. :lol:

Hmm, I think I'm going to try to convert the cooler to a bolt-down type. I don't think there's enough pressure on the core right now (that, and installing it with those clips is damn scary with an exposed core!).

Hmm, I think I'm going to try to convert the cooler to a bolt-down type. I don't think there's enough pressure on the core right now (that, and installing it with those clips is damn scary with an exposed core!).

So far works great with mine!!!! dropped my x2 down 5c on idle and about 7-8c on load give or take. I also lapped my water block while I was at it.

So far works great with mine!!!! dropped my x2 down 5c on idle and about 7-8c on load give or take. I also lapped my water block while I was at it.

pics?

Waco, the newer Opterons/X2's IHS' made a rather good contact with the cores, so temps didn't change much for de-IHSed CPUs. It was the same for my X2 4400+ :)