Help With 3dmark2001se

Snatcher

I am having problems with my refresh rate.. I have a geforce 2 gts and when i run 3dmark2001se and get my score i notice my refresh rate in the demo was at 60hz..How do i change it? My desktop settings are at 85hz and i have set my nvidia drivers to vsync off but everytime i run the demo it stays at 60hz.. I also notice when i am playing couterstrike my fps are always stuck at 60fps also.. Any help would be appreciated

the desktop refresh rate only works with the resolution of the desktop. u have to change to resolution of the desktop to whatever u have 3dmark and cs at and change the refresh rate. then u can turn it back to your original resolution. Each resolution has its own refresh rate. Atleast thats how my monitor works.

-whoops nm i didnt read that it was at same.. im stumped then

for cs try and enter console and type "fps_max 100" without quotes or something...

Edited by Ziggy54354

If you have the new dets for nVidia anyways, you can go in there and change the refresh rates yourself.

Right click desktop>>Settings>>Advanced>>Your video card is in the top right corner tab>>Refresh Rate Overrides.

Then manually change them. This works for XP as far as I know.

My desktop settings are at 85hz and i have set my nvidia drivers to vsync off but everytime i run the demo it stays at 60hz.. I also notice when i am playing couterstrike my fps are always stuck at 60fps
to change your in-game refresh rate

right-click on desktop -> Properties -> Settings ->>Advanced -> GeForce2 GTS (or simular)

now in this section there will be a small vertical green tab in the center left hand side of the window (to the left of the words "System Information"). click on that tab if there is not an extra menu sticking out the side of this window.

in this side window click on the box beside the words GeForce2 GTS so that the box has a minus sign (-) in it.

Next, click on the box that says "Performance & Quality Settings" so that there is a - in the box.

Next, click on the box that says "Direct3D Settings" so that there is a - in the box (repetitive huh).

Alright, now you can select "Refresh Rate Overrides"

There should be a dot next to "Applications control refresh rate". You will want to change this. Check the circle that says "Override refresh rates".

Below this option, you will be able to select and override any refresh rate for each of the resolutions by clicking on the word "Default" next to the resolution you want to edit. This will give a little tab of the refresh rates you can select. Make sure that your monitor supports the refresh rate you selected for each specific resolution! If you don't you could easily damage your monitor (i have a feeling you already know what your monitor can handle since you set the refresh rate for the desktop already. just a warning in general. wouldn't want to see anyone have to buy a new monitor). unfortunately this option to override the refresh rates is only offered in Direct3D. I believe that there may be other programs that will let you manually select refresh rates for OpenGL. will have to look around.

my fps are always stuck at 60fps

Yeah, this has been happening for people that try to use OpenGL on WindowsXP. There has been a limit set by XP. i remember reading about a way to fix this a few months back, but not sure how or where off hand. If you really care about getting more than 60fps and don't want to deal with looking for any more fixes, you can use D3D for your card's 3D acceleration. D3D will allow you upto 100fps in HL as opposed to OpenGL. I'm sure there was a fix for OpenGL, if you don't want to use D3D. i'll try and post back if i happen to find it. good luck

p.s: looks like Overclocker16 beat me to it. lol. i really need to stop writing such long posts.

anyways, i actually like how Overclocker16 explained it. Short and simple ;)