Pc Into A Router/hub?

i saw on tss how they were turning their pc into a router. i need a router and i have several old pc's laying around just waiting to be used. BUT, i dont have 2 nics. i only have a mobo with it built in. so i was wondering if i could use the cat5 to usb wire (that came with my modem) and the nic.

so it would be like:

comp1(nic)------*cat5*-----([nic of pc]-[usb of pc]) --------*cat5 to usb*-------(nic)comp2

i know little about networking and thought i would ask about this before i wasted my time trying it.

it would be better to not bother with the cat5 to usb and just buy a cheap $20 nic at your favorite retailer and add that to the comp. Then there are several programs that make computers routers but i dont know what they're called, but im sure tss probably named a few. Good luck :D

smoothwall is a router program and ya all ya got to do is buy one probablt no more than $10 NIC and if you cant get that much money you are just plain lazy! I am going to be building my third system in less than 6 months and thats without any help from parents and only having a job for like 3 months.

i think those usb to cat5 converters are made to just extend the distance of a usb device, not for networking. Usb cables are also not made to be used for networking, thats what networking cable is for:) just buy a ten dollar nic, and save yourself some trouble.