Somebody plz give this guy a darwin award

spectrascope

I was looking at a vga cooler on newegg and noticed this the review

Takes some modification for XFX 7600GT AGP

Reviewed By: big_willy_loco on 6/7/2007

Rating + 4Rating + 4Rating + 4Rating + 4Rating + 4

Tech Level: high - Ownership: 1 week to 1 month

Pros: My temps dropped to 45C with normal. I overclocked some, but couldn't get above 685mhz on the core (580mhz stock). Overall, very well priced piece of equipment.

Cons: Had to take off 6 fins and cut half inch off one of the copper pipes to get my card to fit in my Gigabyte GA-K8U-939. Take your time with the instructions. Measure four times, cut once

Other Thoughts: Good products, just needs some adapting for my card.

Somebody plz tell this guy heat pipes don't work if cut them open, and some one give him a Darwin award.

You can't give the guy a Darwin Award for something that doesn't kill him. That's what they're for, people who die doing stupid things. Like this month, you'll see kids pretending to hang themselves for Halloween, but some of them will be stupid enough to actually get hanged. THOSE guys will deserve a Darwin Award.

You can't give the guy a Darwin Award for something that doesn't kill him. That's what they're for, people who die doing stupid things. Like this month, you'll see kids pretending to hang themselves for Halloween, but some of them will be stupid enough to actually get hanged. THOSE guys will deserve a Darwin Award.

lol, in that case lets hope that the fluid is lethal when inhaled. It feels kinda wrong saying that but we don't need people like him around any form of technology.

Regardless of the fact that Darwin awards require death by stupid means, I don't even see what your beef is with this guy's comment. Based on his comment that he cut a half inch off ONE of the pipes, I assume there are more than one, and thus the heatsink would still function. So either you read it wrong, or you don't know what you're talking about.

Based on his comment that he cut a half inch off ONE of the pipes, I assume there are more than one, and thus the heatsink would still function. So either you read it wrong, or you don't know what you're talking about.

It doesn't really matter. As soon as he breaks the seal on one of the heatpipes he's destroyed the efficiency of the cooler.

Regardless of the fact that Darwin awards require death by stupid means, I don't even see what your beef is with this guy's comment. Based on his comment that he cut a half inch off ONE of the pipes, I assume there are more than one, and thus the heatsink would still function. So either you read it wrong, or you don't know what you're talking about.

That's his "beef" with the comment. The guy cut off the end of a heatpipe that contains potential, thought not verified as of yet, deadly fluid for conducting heat. Kinda like ghetto-installing an AC system with the freon still in the tubes and trimming one down so the system fits... Plus who in their right mind trims down a heatpipe? If I were in his situation, I would, A) Bent the heatpipe or B) returned the cooler and picked up a new one...

Edit: + what waco said.

Edited by iKillSteal

I'll have to agree here... the guy's an absolute moron for cutting off parts of the sink (I mean come on, this is OCC. Every little molecule of copper counts), but unless he kills himself through it... you've no hope. He's the kind of guy we laugh at here on OCC.

Kash, I agree fully. So nice of them though to add some chlorine to the gene pool like that.

It doesn't really matter. As soon as he breaks the seal on one of the heatpipes he's destroyed the efficiency of the cooler.
obviously it wouldn't be as efficient...I never argued that.

That's his "beef" with the comment. The guy cut off the end of a heatpipe that contains potential, thought not verified as of yet, deadly fluid for conducting heat. Kinda like ghetto-installing an AC system with the freon still in the tubes and trimming one down so the system fits... Plus who in their right mind trims down a heatpipe? If I were in his situation, I would, A) Bent the heatpipe or B) returned the cooler and picked up a new one...

Edit: + what waco said.

but who's to say he wasn't careful with the liquid inside? He obviously didn't die, so you're making assumptions that he didn't know how a heatpipe is constructed

I'll have to agree here... the guy's an absolute moron for cutting off parts of the sink (I mean come on, this is OCC. Every little molecule of copper counts), but unless he kills himself through it... you've no hope. He's the kind of guy we laugh at here on OCC.
Of course we want the most efficient transfer of heat possible, but in his situation the card didn't fit on the motherboard (I assume a capacitor was in the way or something), so he could have either gotten a different card, a different board, or mod it to fit. He chose the latter. Sure he lost efficiency, and it probably looks like ., but I hardly see this as something to laugh about.

While cutting off some heatpipe to make it fit is certainly a bad idea in most regards, it's not quite as bad you're all making it to be. I've been in a similar situation actually, where I had to cut a few fins from an SB cooler for an old s939 motherboard, because the AGP lock was in the way. Not a big deal, really.

Perhaps this person doesn't understand how a heatpipe works like us chaps on OCC do. :P