What To Do?

ok i just finished buildin my system and now i want a router for cable modem so i dont have to keep jackin the one in my living room and hookin it up to my cable tv and playing internet games in my room(plus then i cant watch tv and play)..... so my living room is about 100 feet away...what would be best going wireless if soo what will i need? how much will it cost? or going w/ a standard router and running cat 5 all over the place?how much will that cost? or would it be better and or cheaper to just buy another cable modem and split the cable line in my bedroom and run one to tv and the other to modem..... will the other modem still work?

i tend to trust cat5 the most... and the regular router way is the cheapest way to go ... router prices have really dropped lately.

I am pretty certain that you cannot just buy another modem and split the line.... so go the router way.

if you buy another modem you could only have one plugged in at a time.

here is what i say you do. if you dont mind a hundred feet of cable running from the router to your bedroom or if there is way for you to get in the attic or behind the wall so you could fish it through the walls, i would reccomend you go with the wired connection. Get a router w/ a four port switch built in(most of them are nowadays) heres a link for a router with an 8 port switch for only $86 bucks. or heres one for a four port one at frys electronics for fifty bucks. the hundred feet of cable whould probably run you $25-50 dollars depending on the type you buy, wether it be flat, colored(to match the white wall) or high quality. If you decide to go wireless thats gonna run you around 129.99 dollars for the wireless router(this is the one i have :D ) with a built in switch then another $70 for the wireless card , and i would definetly say to go with 802.11g(54mbs), since g is on the same frequency as b(11mbs) it has the same range, wich is farther than 802.11a(54mbs).

I personally have the wireless g router with a built in 4 port switch so i can meet my wired and wireless needs, but if you dont want to spend that kind of money i would definetly say go with the 4 port router. and a hundred feet of cable.(is your house really that long!?)

p.s. Keep in mind that even though the wired connection is twice as fast as the 54g, the actual throughput you get from the wired network will probably be two to three times that of a wireless connection. in ohter words, wired=speed wireless=convienience

Once youve made up your mind, just let us know and we(or i) can help you configure all your settings to get you started. Good luck! :D

100 feet on a wireless router throu walls and cellings will really be pushing the limits of the wifi. go with the wired you will get better speeds and be happier in the end

alright thanx for the replys ill be goin with the wired the linkseys from fry's theres one near me

how exactlydo i connect the router w/ my 2 computers?.... i know i i have to run cat 5 but were do they plug into the router?

im gonna run the cat 5 trhough a wall then under the floor then drill a whole into my bedroom and pull cat5 through there... i cant drill whole throug floor were main comp is cause it is a brick floor(dont ask me why)

on the back of your router there will be an ethernet connector that will say "WAN" or something and this is where you plug the ethernet coming from your modem. the rest of the ethernet connectors are for the computers you will be sharing the connection with.

I just got my comp hooked up through a router to share my cable connection. Here's the basics of my wired setup:

RJ45 from cable modem to router. RJ45 from router to each computer and at each computer is an RJ45 to USB adaptor. Plugs right into the back of each comp. Took me about 30 mins to hook it all up. All I had to do was install some USB drivers on my comp which has XP, the other had 98 and I didn't have to load anything on that one. After running all the wires and booting up each comp, I had the internet on each one. It was pretty much just Plug-and-Play.

I bought a 4 port Siemens router from Circuit City for only $30. Didn't require any firmware updates or anything. Just plugged it in and I was up and running.

My internet connection isn't any slower either, nothing you will notice visually. I check and my ping is about 10-20ms slower than before. 10-20ms is nothing to fuss over about.

RVE I would just buy yourself 2 NICs because all of the ethernet to USB adapters that I have seen are crap. who is your ISP? A lot of people I know have Charter cable and their guys are a bunch of morons and don't know what they are doing they always install the USB adapters instead of putting in a NIC which cost the same as the USB adapters and then I go and install a NIC for them and there connection is always faster and more reliable. If you have Charter and you ever need them to fix something when you call them or whatever tell them to send an independent contractor they know a lot more than the other guys.

My first comp already had the cable modem hooked up to it, and it used an ethernet to usb adaptor. It always worked fine in the past. I use RoadRunner here in San Diego. And I installed all this networking stuff myself a few days ago. I have never had any difficulties with usb to ethernet adaptors. I had originally thought about just using a nic card rather than the adaptor. My connection is barely any slower than before going through the router. Like I said above, only 10-20ms slower. The signals going through about 30 extra feet of cable to get to my computer from where the router is. Besides I already got it all setup and I'm using it right now as I type this. It works with no flaws, no installation difficulties, basically plug-n-play. My average d/l speeds are vary from 150 to over 300 kbps at times. I've heard from many people that ethernet to usb adapters supposedly "suck". I've been using them for about 4+ years and have had no technical difficulties caused by them.

you mite not have problems but adapting to usb will slow down the connection i tried it on my comp and i got better results with a nic in this case onbard

btw have you priced 100ft of cat 5 cable its going to be pricey atleast it is here in oklahoma

*Argh* I've said it like 3 times! My speeds have slowed near negligible marks. I still get killer speeds. Let me find that bandwidth test I ran last night. I'll post a pic in a minute. Now how the hell do you post an image? :angry: