hi.

well i have e2140.

its an mo stepping.

i was wondering whats the difference between l2 and mo stepping?

is mo better.., and how compared to l2.

and i have overclocked e2140 to 3ghz.., check this pick out.

thanks.

Edited by get_saif

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M0 is better. The revisions can pretty much read "improvement" and the later it is the better. If you dig around you can find out what the improvements are, there should be a long list of errata that details it all. But I think the M0 pretty much runs cooler and can safely get hotter than the L2. http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ProcFam=2841

So, I just go off of the phone with Intel, and I learned a few things:

1. 73.2C is the maximum safe temp for M0, and 61.3C is safe for L2...so I should actually default my CPU right now.

2. Using third party thermal paste voids the warranty.

3. Using third party HSF's void the warranty.

4. Intel support seems to be free.

I googled your motherboard, so I bet that's not holding you back. You're almost there though! But take everyone's warnings seriously...stay below 73C

We have different chipsets (I have Intel you have nVidia) so I'm not sure what else to tell you besides...keep troubleshooting.

G'luck!

M0 is better. The revisions can pretty much read "improvement" and the later it is the better. If you dig around you can find out what the improvements are, there should be a long list of errata that details it all. But I think the M0 pretty much runs cooler and can safely get hotter than the L2. http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ProcFam=2841

So, I just go off of the phone with Intel, and I learned a few things:

1. 73.2C is the maximum safe temp for M0, and 61.3C is safe for L2...so I should actually default my CPU right now.

2. Using third party thermal paste voids the warranty.

3. Using third party HSF's void the warranty.

4. Intel support seems to be free.

I googled your motherboard, so I bet that's not holding you back. You're almost there though! But take everyone's warnings seriously...stay below 73C

We have different chipsets (I have Intel you have nVidia) so I'm not sure what else to tell you besides...keep troubleshooting.

G'luck!

thank you very much for ur effort taken, appreciated.

73.2 sounds kinda hot to me. I'd imagine intel meant to say "73.2C is the hottest the chip can go before immediate damage starts". Kinda like hearing damage, your ears can stand really loud noises once in a while with no ill effects, but prolonged moderately loud noises will cause hearing loss. Its the same with computer chips, except they don't suffer hearing loss, just shortened lifespan, (and maybe instability?). I remember hearing that 50C is about the hottest you want a chip running for prolonged periods of time, but then that was a generation or so back that I paid much attention, so it may be different now, but I doubt its that high.

73.2 sounds kinda hot to me. I'd imagine intel meant to say "73.2C is the hottest the chip can go before immediate damage starts". Kinda like hearing damage, your ears can stand really loud noises once in a while with no ill effects, but prolonged moderately loud noises will cause hearing loss. Its the same with computer chips, except they don't suffer hearing loss, just shortened lifespan, (and maybe instability?). I remember hearing that 50C is about the hottest you want a chip running for prolonged periods of time, but then that was a generation or so back that I paid much attention, so it may be different now, but I doubt its that high.

Yeah. 60-65c is the max recommended running temp for any of the C2 chips. Anything more than that and you're in the red.

That's a very impressive overclock. The stock is 1.6 GHz, so that's nearly 90% overclocked! As others have said, careful with the temps. One other thing: why did you get a really high-end motherboard to go with a low-end processor?

That's a very impressive overclock. The stock is 1.6 GHz, so that's nearly 90% overclocked! As others have said, careful with the temps. One other thing: why did you get a really high-end motherboard to go with a low-end processor?

To OC the jesus out of the processor? But yeah, that's quite the pair he has there. He could have grabbed an e6750 and a DS3R for the money and be running at, or extremely close to, 4GHz and he would have had some money left over...

the processor i got is just cause, i wanted to get penryn, but as they are not available right now.. and the board gives a good platform for anything.

even if i cant afford later penryn for sumtime.. this will boost the other components.

guys i live in india. i want a cooler for this cpu. in budget mode.. can u guys guide me or give me links ...

for now i have got it down to 2.8ghz..

the processor i got is just cause, i wanted to get penryn, but as they are not available right now.. and the board gives a good platform for anything.

even if i cant afford later penryn for sumtime.. this will boost the other components.

guys i live in india. i want a cooler for this cpu. in budget mode.. can u guys guide me or give me links ...

for now i have got it down to 2.8ghz..

Well, the current best HS is the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme. Pair that with a good fan (Yate Loon) and nothing can beat it. It can be had for as little as US$50-55 although shipping is probably going to be frightening if you can't find it nearby.

Well, the current best HS is the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme. Pair that with a good fan (Yate Loon) and nothing can beat it. It can be had for as little as US$50-55 although shipping is probably going to be frightening if you can't find it nearby.

well thats cool, but i doubt i could get the one u suggested here. i was planing for some asus cooler, and then push the overclock to 3.1 or 3.2 ghz.. But y is my gpu so hot? is the motherboard hot that side or waht ? i am confused. i have placed a 120mm fan under the gpu. but then to..is this a problem? xfx 8600gt overclocked. idle at 55 c.

Where have you seen it for that cheap? I've seen as low as $60.

well thats cool, but i doubt i could get the one u suggested here. i was planing for some asus cooler, and then push the overclock to 3.1 or 3.2 ghz.. But y is my gpu so hot? is the motherboard hot that side or waht ? i am confused. i have placed a 120mm fan under the gpu. but then to..is this a problem? xfx 8600gt overclocked. idle at 55 c.
GPU's always run hotter than CPU's. It's not abnormal to have your GPU running 75C on load.

Where have you seen it for that cheap? I've seen as low as $60.

Well, Petra's Tech Shop has been selling it at $55 for as long as I can remember. I've seen it at $50 before on one of the bigger sites (Newegg, Chiefvalue, etc), but that was probably a limited-time deal.