Dual Display OpenGL on 8800 Ultras

I made a post last week concerning running 2 monitors on 2 independent 8800 Ultras (no SLI) and I got that working. But it seems that running OpenGL applications doesn't work too well with this setup. If I have single display performance mode enabled, my OpenGL application runs great, except it only works on the primary monitor. If I set it on multiple display performance mode the application runs at less than 2 fps, but it at least runs on both monitors. I need this appication to run on multiple monitors because I need it to display two different eye views on two different displays. In my office there is an older Dell XPS that is running two GeForce 6600s and is capable of doing OpenGL on multiple displays, so I know it is possible. Anyone have a clue on how to do this?

SLI doesn't support multiple monitors, and I've tried anyway. Still a failure. Thanks for the suggestions though. Any other ideas?

well i didnt read all of it, but seems like it does with a few mods.... http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=6269

lol seems like you are only hindering urself if you use 2 cards and OpenGL

Edited by lost

It is not the dual-card setup that's hampering performance, it is the dual-display that is the problem. If I run one display off of each video card and set the setting in the nVidia control panel to single display performance mode we get great performance on the primary monitor. But with that mode, OpenGL does not display on the secondary monitor. I've also tried fiddling with the settings while completely disabling the second card and running both displays off of the primary video card, but the results are the same.

As for the drivers I'm using, I tried using the latest drivers from the nVidia website last week and now I'm using the 163.67 beta drivers. Both yielded the same results.

It is not the dual-card setup that's hampering performance, it is the dual-display that is the problem. If I run one display off of each video card and set the setting in the nVidia control panel to single display performance mode we get great performance on the primary monitor. But with that mode, OpenGL does not display on the secondary monitor. I've also tried fiddling with the settings while completely disabling the second card and running both displays off of the primary video card, but the results are the same.

As for the drivers I'm using, I tried using the latest drivers from the nVidia website last week and now I'm using the 163.67 beta drivers. Both yielded the same results.

Did you just overlap install?

Sometimes not all the registry settings and options are changed on just a reinstall - it is best to uninstall through control panel, run Driver Cleaner, restart, then reinstall the most recent drivers.

I had a driver problem recently resulting in crashes and slow performance, and a regular reinstall didnt fix it. After doing the steps above everything went back to normal.

It turns out that our VR application we've been using doesn't play well with this setup. I downloaded an alpha version of the same software and things are running better, although not as well as I thought it would. The only other OpenGL application we have runs about the same as our old computer, which has a single Quadro FX 3500. I would have thought that two 8800 Ultras would perform better than a single Quadro from that age. Either way, thanks for the help everyone!