Looking for assistance building an online forum

cdoggown

Hello,

I have been an admin for a free forum since the beginning of the year. However their service sucks and I cant afford any more downtime. I have purchased my domain name, but before I commit to a hosting plan, I need to commission someone to do the heavy lifting (putting the forum together following my specifications). The forum doesnt need to be fancy, in fact, one fourth the features OCC has would be plenty for what I am trying to accomplish. The current forum is in PHP, but I am not married to that scripting language.

If anyone is interested, please PM me ASAP with a description of your background, which language(s) you would recommend, and any other things I should consider. Once I find someone that is able to do the work we can talk about money and terms. I have done simple transactional business with other members on OCC before, and have references to prove I am a real person and not a "Nigerian Prince" or whatever.

Thanks in advance,

C

Okay, so I have my domains, I have my forum software (vbulletin) and I have chosen a hosting company (iHostCan), however, it seems like I have severely underestimated the space I need! I thought I would be fine because the comparison chart shows that I get 200GB of space, but when I went to upload my forum files, it said I could only upload up to 5MB! The forum software alone is 9.74MB and thats not even counting how the MySQL database will grow once users are added. Anyone know how much space I need? I will need enough to accomodate an initial influx of 100 users.

Okay, so I have my domains, I have my forum software (vbulletin) and I have chosen a hosting company (iHostCan), however, it seems like I have severely underestimated the space I need! I thought I would be fine because the comparison chart shows that I get 200GB of space, but when I went to upload my forum files, it said I could only upload up to 5MB! The forum software alone is 9.74MB and thats not even counting how the MySQL database will grow once users are added. Anyone know how much space I need? I will need enough to accomodate an initial influx of 100 users.

If you can only upload up to 5MB, email your host because something isn't right there.

You could use anywhere from 15mb to 1500mb. Depends on uploads, avatars, etc. Posts, forums. Everything.

If you can only upload up to 5MB, email your host because something isn't right there.

You could use anywhere from 15mb to 1500mb. Depends on uploads, avatars, etc. Posts, forums. Everything.

You're right. The problem is I couldnt connect via FTP no matter what login credentials I tried, so I was using their online upload tool. That tool, apparently, can only do 5MB at a time, but FTP is unlimited.

C

• 1 month later...

see if they have a php.ini file in your main site folder. I could only do a max of 2mb at a time until i changed the php.ini file. Open it in txt and either add or edit these fields

post_max_size = 20M

upload_max_filesize = 20M

the 20M being your variable.

After i changed that i was able to upload to the 20Mb

Hope it helps.