Server Help

nightsider

hi all i finally got my hands on a server. :rolleyes: so i tried to install windows server 2003 i got the error that the system needed more than 128mb of system ram but the owner previous to me had windows xp installed on it so at least i know i have more than 64mb of ram :rolleyes: .

basically im going to venture into the world of linux on this server. since i cant think of any windows server OS that requires 64 mb of ram and i have lost my xp disk lol.

i think i will use Kubuntu since it is novice friendly.

now i need the help with the following things

• Setting up Apache to serve web pages
  • Set up the linux folding client
  • set it up in a way i can use windows RD to log into the server to admin it without having to switch all my cables over to the server

any help is much aprechiated

2000 server would run on a Pentium pro 150mhz with 64mb of ram.

2003 does require 128mb... but got help you with that much in there. I'd suggest getting some extra ram. Find out what chipset it runs (boot ye'ole mem test cd to find out chipset and memory type if you're unsure from visual inspection). Odds are it's going to be either SDR dimms (maybe ecc) or EDO SIMM's... but if it's EDO DIMM's run away!!!!! ram should be cheap and plentiful for it.

i checked the ram and its EDO does this mean im screwed?

edo ram is ancient. if you can find it, it'll cost you an arm and a leg. a 128meg stick will run between 60 and 80 bucks. and you've gotta match them. so you'll be buying at least two of whatever you buy. you might have some luck on ebay, give that a shot. i've never had any experience with edo, but doing a quick product search on froogle it seems that they've got all kinds of types for different brands of computers. i guess all you'd have to do would be to match the speed/whatever of your current ram. as far as ratings go, all i can see is the speed. 50-70ns is what i'm seeing around there.

oh yea that is a nightmare and a half will windows server 2000 run with 64mb of edo ram in it?

it only requires 64meg i believe, but think about it - you'd be better of hosting whatever you're planning on hosting with your current setup. a webserver on that thing would be...marginal, but don't expect it to perform well under more than 10 visitors at once heh.

oh yea that is a nightmare and a half will windows server 2000 run with 64mb of edo ram in it?

According to bigred it will.

2000 server would run on a Pentium pro 150mhz with 64mb of ram.

2003 does require 128mb... but got help you with that much in there. I'd suggest getting some extra ram. Find out what chipset it runs (boot ye'ole mem test cd to find out chipset and memory type if you're unsure from visual inspection). Odds are it's going to be either SDR dimms (maybe ecc) or EDO SIMM's... but if it's EDO DIMM's run away!!!!! ram should be cheap and plentiful for it.