macbook's vs laptops

Leopard will be very inexpensive for students when it came out. I was asking myself the same questions about 3 weeks ago, and needless to say, this post is being writen on a macbook pro.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, if its pricing is going to be similar to that of Tiger, you can expect the student price to be $69. Then again, retail of $129 ain't bad either ;)

acers aren't bad at all as long as you keep in mind thier market. they're an entry level basic system. don't expect the best... but you will get a good value for what you're paying for.

• 1 month later...

While this post is obviously outdated, hopefully someone searching can gain some value from it later

acers aren't bad at all as long as you keep in mind thier market. they're an entry level basic system. don't expect the best... but you will get a good value for what you're paying for.

When I first read this I debated making a similar statement about Acer, I didnt because I hadnt had mine long enough to really say yes or no. FOr the money spent the Acer I have is by far the best laptop I've owned. The only brand I've owned in the "best" category however has been Toshiba which was a good laptop aswell, however overpriced in comparison.

Anyway I ened up with a $499 laptop that gets over 3hrs battery life running vista, didnt come preloaded with ANY true crap. (Some of the acer utilities come close, but DO serve a function) And a build quality just as good as my old toshiba was. (Read as 400 million times better than the GateMachines piece of crap I also currently own :))

For me this Acer fills the void where a MacBook would be for me. The "get stuff done" laptop. It cant do much gaming, but it has plenty power for any WORK task, in many cases more for the work I do (compared to the gateway) being dual core. Someday I plan on buying a Mac...I'm not sure when that will be but I'll be upgrading laptops in the future and I'm sure I'll stare at their specs for a day or two debating the decision.

From experience Toshiba are incredibly unreliable... but then again I haven't used one since 2002. Acer do have overheating issues, but they are good value for money in the first place, so you get what you pay for.

Geez, just get a macbook. You can just about every OS on there legally, too. Windows, OSX, linux, you name it. Unless you absolutely despise macs or find an incredibly better deal, just go with a macbook or macbook pro.