Mitsubishi Eclipse vs. Nissan Altima vs. Nissan Maxima

martymcfly

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In your position I would say keep the eclipse(even though I do not like them), because it is basically new and will be much, much cheaper. Just makes sense IMO. If you really want a new car, did you look at the Cobolt SS Sedan?

Not the supercharged coupe, but the N/A sedan. Great gas mileage, roomy 4 door, fun to drive, and under 20 grand :). Comes with a peppy but not too dangerous 2.4 liter with like 170hp or something. Will move that lil thing decievingly quick, but not too much to get you into trouble as long as you are responsible. Not to mention it looks a hell of a lot better then the cars you listed(purely opinion based..), and has an amazing 5 year 100,000 mile warrenty on the powertain, and also a 6 year 100,000 mile rust protection warrenty. Yes, unlike many imports, its actually made of metal :)

I do not recommend it for a first car - and being a 2 door it is not what you are looking for anyway - but the higher end supercharged SS coupe is currently one of the cheapest cars on the street to make fast after purchase, and happens to be the only 4 cylinder I would ever personally drive...this is coming from a guy with a near 500 hp daily driver v8...

I really like the Altima. Way more than the Maxima. If I had the dough and this was my decision I would buy the Altima 3.5SL. They are solid cars, and have a torquey (is that a word?) V6 that will keep you interested.

Now outside of those three cars, with 30k to spend and you want something with four doors and fast? Are you under 6 foot 2, 300 lbs? If so you really cant go wrong with the value proposition and extensive aftermarket for a used Dodge SRT-4. Gobs of power, lots of upgrades, and a demon on the track, straight line or not. I dont fit in them, but if I could I probably would have bought one instead of the Charger R/T, and saved some serious coin at that!

I do not recommend it for a first car - and being a 2 door it is not what you are looking for anyway - but the higher end supercharged SS coupe is currently one of the cheapest cars on the street to make fast after purchase, and happens to be the only 4 cylinder I would ever personally drive...this is coming from a guy with a near 500 hp daily driver v8...

SRT-4 with the same money put in would crush this car at the track. Seen it many-a-times. And while I feel the Cobalt in general is a nice car, the spoiler on the SS is the nastiest piece of car eye candy ever to grace an american car (if you bring up the Aztek, I will punch the elderly scientologist next door... I dont know why, it just happens every time someone mentions that thing...)....

C

the altima 3.5s are very nice cars...and quick too. i think the 0-60 on those guys are around 6 seconds. i may be mistaken though. i would choose the eclipse or the altima 3.5. i think the altima 3.5 would be quicker than the 4cyl eclipse, plus it's 4 door. but then again it's all your taste.

Thanks for the help, guys, but I am asking about the choices I provided, not for other options.

I stated my opinion - keep the car you already have. I'm sure most of the older group will agree that 6k miles is basically brand new, and it doesnt make sense to drop 30 grand on another vehicle when a perfectly capable one is already in your possesion.

If you insist on spending more, take a fraction of that money and mod the eclipse, and I promise you will be happier then a stock whatever else you were considering :)

Alright, thanks guys. That's a good idea. I can spend some time this fall modding it because my sister will be away, and then I'll drive it when I get my license.

I think I'll go for the Maxima if my dad really wants me to have a four-door.

Alright, thanks guys. That's a good idea. I can spend some time this fall modding it because my sister will be away, and then I'll drive it when I get my license.

I think I'll go for the Maxima if my dad really wants me to have a four-door.

Awesome, keep us posted :)

I also deleted half of my post to remove the off topic banter to keep your thread on topic :typing:

In your position I would say keep the eclipse(even though I do not like them), because it is basically new and will be much, much cheaper. Just makes sense IMO. If you really want a new car, did you look at the Cobolt SS Sedan?

Not the supercharged coupe, but the N/A sedan. Great gas mileage, roomy 4 door, fun to drive, and under 20 grand :). Comes with a peppy but not too dangerous 2.4 liter with like 170hp or something. Will move that lil thing decievingly quick, but not too much to get you into trouble as long as you are responsible. Not to mention it looks a hell of a lot better then the cars you listed(purely opinion based..), and has an amazing 5 year 100,000 mile warrenty on the powertain, and also a 6 year 100,000 mile rust protection warrenty. Yes, unlike many imports, its actually made of metal :)

I Really do agree, great cars. The 2.0 is definalty more than you really need for a frist car however. For a 2.0L stock from teh factory it has a rather nice bit of kick. More importatnly than the 0-60 it can also do an EXCELLENT 40-70. I'm like puck in many ways, I love V8s, they are great, I have a 454 in my Silverado, and for the towing etc it's great. Recently my much abused 96 cavalier decided to start giving more truoble than I want to put up with. After driving a crapload of the smaller cars new and used I decided to say screw it and buy what I really wanted, 2007 Cobalt SS Supercharged. The Cobalts have more interior space than the other cars in it's class, and the 2.4L version is of course as Puck mentioned, offered as a sedan. One other reason I bought one like i wanted now was simple, The SS Supercharged will be no more after this year, there are also rummors that the SS package will be replaced with a more general "sport" package as well.

Most of mine is the "base" SS Supercharged package (more standard features than the 2.4L SS) Just the 18" Polished Aluminum wheel upgrade (which oddly enough cost GM less than the painted versions and have less issues such as some paint chipping on the 05 and 06 versions), sunroof (try finding an SS without one), and the "downgraded" spoiler in place of that dang wing thing.

I also like the V6 Accord and keeping the Eclipse options. While I greatly enjoy Honda bashing I certianly like the V6 Accord's power and ride for a car, and of course the Eclipse is new in most respects and it's going to show responsiblity on your part by not wanting to take your parent's money right now. Heck if you do this they might feel the need to buy you a new car next year, a time when you wont be a TOTAL beginner and are a little less likely to act like a total moron and wreck it. I personally can't say how I would feel in your position being given a $30K budget for my first car, because for me it was drive old crappy truck for a few months then decide to buy a nearly 10yr old Silverado for ~$6,300 on my own (ok a little help from my grandmother :D)

Either way be happy with whatever decision you make, and remember, ask your parent's opinion, it is their money you're spending so at least respect their thoughts on the subject.