2 Computers 1 Wireless adapter

Ok, this is my situation, I have my main rig and my AMP system but I only have one Wireless network adapter that I can use. Both of these computers must be in my room and I might be re-building a third that will be requiring the internet in my room. I have network cables and I also have a Microsoft Wireless Router.

Basically my question is, is can I just plug in the network cable coming out of the computer w/ the internet into the "To Modem" port on the Router and then plug the other computer's network cable into the "1" port?

Also I seem to be having troubles installing the NIC on the AMP system, Win 2k Server does not have the drivers to install it, any suggestions?

yes you can use the wireless from one to go to the other. I've done it before. It's the internet connection sharing in xp. I just ran the network connection wizard on both computers and let it set everything up. As far as wiring it would be just like setting up a network. Use the regular port 1 and port 2 not the modem port. Network wizard will do the rest. at least thats how mine was.

I'm not sure about Win 2k server part

well i appreciate letting me know that, ill have to keep trying to get the NIC to work

I have never done it that way but have read about it and if I am not mistaken it has to be a crossover cable from one PC to the other.

I have never done it that way but have read about it and if I am not mistaken it has to be a crossover cable from one PC to the other.

If you go directly from one PC to the other, you'll need a crossover cable. If you use the router between the two as a hub/switch, then you will need to use regular (non-crossover) cables.

i dont have a crossover cable and i dont have the tools or parts to turn one into a crossover, or i would...but that still does not solve the problem of the dang NIC that windows 2K server wont install... :rolleyes:

i dont have a crossover cable and i dont have the tools or parts to turn one into a crossover, or i would...but that still does not solve the problem of the dang NIC that windows 2K server wont install... :rolleyes:

Don't have the tools? Go out in your back yard, find a rock, beat through the cable, adjust the wires and use grass to prevent the touching of wires. (leaves work too)

crossover_T568A.png

Edited by coolcat97

well even if i do it like that, i still will be in trouble, i cant get win 2k server to use the NIC...there are no drivers for it and its a card i pulled out of an older computers, so i dont have a disc for it, dont even know if a disc came w/ it to begin with...lol

well even if i do it like that, i still will be in trouble, i cant get win 2k server to use the NIC...there are no drivers for it and its a card i pulled out of an older computers, so i dont have a disc for it, dont even know if a disc came w/ it to begin with...lol
What model is it?

Find the driver online and then swap it over to the other computer via floppy or a usb drive...

Don't have the tools? Go out in your back yard, find a rock, beat through the cable, adjust the wires and use grass to prevent the touching of wires. (leaves work too)

I would hate to think I had to wire one with this method

@ road-runner, I agree

@Andrewr05, I will try to do that...The model is MN-130, its a Microsoft Broadband Networking 10/100 Ethernet PCI Adapter, Prioduct ID is 68691-769-0838196-00235...it needs to be for Windows 2000 Server

the drivers are installed

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820074

that helped me out a lot :) didnt even think about looking for the model number thanks Andrewr