Current info on Laptop Video Cards

yiotta

Hi again all, haven't logged on for awhile, but this has always been such a great place for info I thought I would ask.

I just completed a search for topics on laptop video cards, but most of the hits were for older topics.

Could you please give me your top 3 choices for laptop video cards for DVD (not BlueRay) and Game play.

My awesome Sony Vaio is now 3 years old and showing its age, time for a new laptop.

Looking at spending around $2k and probably going to go with a Dell this time, as I get a good "employee" purchase program.

I will probably get a dual core with 2GB Ram, but I am way out of date on portable video card scene and could use your guidance.

Thanks gang!!

for 2k$, I think a Dell XPS with the 7900GS / 7950GT should be reachable.

Nope, it is running quite a bit more for the XPS: Basic price before doing anything is $2299.

But here is what an initial build attempt showed at $1761

PROCESSOR Intel

Edited by yiotta

Nope, it is running quite a bit more:

But here is what an initial build attempt showed at $1761

What do you think?

solid system, but for gaming, a x1400 isn't that much better than a x1300. Yes you'll be able to run games, just don't expect to run them any more than medium settings on slightly lower resolutions

solid system, but for gaming, a x1400 isn't that much better than a x1300. Yes you'll be able to run games, just don't expect to run them any more than medium settings on slightly lower resolutions

Thanks for the info, I want to be able to run games, for $200 more it stays in my $2000 price range and I can get:

256MB NVIDIA

Thanks for the info, I want to be able to run games, for $200 more it stays in my $2000 price range and I can get:

256MB NVIDIA

Edited by The Unforgivin

yep, you should be able to play most games on relatively high resolutions.

But be warned, that will eat up your battery like crazy, which is why you don't find high end hardware in laptops (draws too much power). And load times in games like BF2 and F.E.A.R might take longer than your average 7200rpm 8mb 3.5" HDD. Nothing can really fix that effectively, you'll find that problem in a lot of laptops since they use smaller HDDS

Great, so this setup looks good, that means that NVidia GeForce 7900GS is a good card?

Here is the specs on the new build, cost is $2010.00

And the good news is I wouldn't be doing any gaming on battery, only when connected to AC.

PROCESSOR Intel

Edited by yiotta

Great, so this setup looks good, that means that NVidia GeForce 7900GS is a good card?

Here is the specs on the new build, cost is $2010.00

And the good news is I wouldn't be doing any gaming on battery, only when connected to AC.

PROCESSOR Intel

I was at bestbuy the other day and saw a laptop I was interested in. It was an HP I think but it had a C2D not sure which one the one you listed is probably better. Had 2gb ddr2 7600gt 160gb hd 17in wide screen and then blah blah blah. One thing it did have I was interested in was a HDMI output. I think it would be nice to have a hdmi output on the computer itself for when hooking it up to HDLCD tv or something. Oh and it was 1500. Not as impressive as yours above but it is 500 less and I think the 7600 will still play games quite well.