Preferred brand for home networking equipment?

sdy284

Networking Question...  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preferred brand of WIRED networking equipment?

• Linksys
    • D-Link
    • Buffalo
    • Netgear
    • Belkin
    • Motorola
    • U.S. Robotics
    • 3Com
    • Other
  2. 2. What is your preferred brand of WIRELESS networking equipment?

• Linksys
    • D-Link
    • Buffalo
    • Netgear
    • Belkin
    • Motorola
    • U.S. Robotics
    • 3Com
    • Other

having dealt with both over the years... there is a DEFINITE difference between them.

forgot to mention I finally setup my first wireless AP in the house... another brand left off the wireless list... APPLE.... not that I like this friggin' mushroom looking thing... it's gonna make an interesting splatter when it finally hits the wall.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having dealt with both over the years... there is a DEFINITE difference between them.

Well the configuration and customization options are obviously far greater with cisco over linksys, but what are your thoughts on reliability/stability? I've never had any problem with either line, so I'd have to rate them equally on those terms. Others have complained about linksys products here though, so what about you?

the linksys are one of the better ones. but I'd never push my luck with a linksys over 5 years old... which in the IT world is like a 30 year old car. however I have no reservations of relying on a 10 year old cisco.

there are a few I suggest staying clear of... and those are d-link, belkin, microsoft, and zonet. some of thier products are great, while others have proven time and time again to be horrible.

netgear is also on par with linksys.

but in the big business world it's cisco, hp, 3com, bay and adtran... I strongly advise on avoiding the dell switches :( those seem to be consistant in their respective good / bad ways.

but in the big business world it's cisco, hp, 3com, bay and adtran... I strongly advise on avoiding the dell switches :( those seem to be consistant in their respective good / bad ways.
We haven't had any problems with our Dell switch here...unlike the Intel Switch we used to have in here before I replaced it with a Linksys SRW248G4 :)

the linksys are one of the better ones. but I'd never push my luck with a linksys over 5 years old... which in the IT world is like a 30 year old car. however I have no reservations of relying on a 10 year old cisco.

there are a few I suggest staying clear of... and those are d-link, belkin, microsoft, and zonet. some of thier products are great, while others have proven time and time again to be horrible.

netgear is also on par with linksys.

I agree with that!.....I have also had good experiences in home and business environments with Intellinet, Xincom, and Trendnet. Although, trendnet isn't too reliable in the wireless field, but their wired products are pretty good for being so inexpensive.

but the intellnet and xincom products are actually netgear on the inside. hence the reason they do a decent job. much like zonet's 24 port 10/100 rack mountable switch comes from netgear... ie pretty darn good.... however they make thier own 5 port "soho" switch that's about as reliable as the national weather service.

ARGGGG, red mentioned adtran. I shutter at the word. I guess considering how much cheaper they are than cisco's comparable products they're not to bad, but I'm not the biggest fan.