Instant Shutdown

xPETEZx

Hi Guys,

My UPS "failed" yesterday, as in failed I mean, I tested it, and it managed to power my PC for about 7 seconds before it initiated a system shut-down.

So I decided to get rid of it. Un-installed the software (Belkin power management for windows)and took it out of the power loop.

Booted my PC up, started listening to music etc, and noticed my PC was abit unresponsive. Looked over at Task manager, and long and behold 87+% CPU use.

Sort processes by CPU use, and some weir process I had never seen before was using about 85%. So I end tasked it. As soon as I did this, my computer shut-down.

In the same manner it would shut-down as if the UPS had initiated it.

So I reboot, and no problems. Used the PC a couple of hours without any shut-downs are system slows.

Turn it off, go to bed, and this morning I try t boot it up, and it boots into windows, I log in, and before it finishes to load all the task tray Icons and apps, it does a system shut down. Not like a blue screen, or anything, just says "Saving your settings...." and then shuts down as if I had told it to.

So I boot into Safe mode, thinking it must be the UPS software thinking the ups is low battery or something, and I did find entries in the start-up referring to the UPS service.

So I disabled all of them. Reboot, and bam! Still the same thing. Shuts straight back down.

So I reconnected the UPS, in hope that it was just the buggy software for it thinking it was low battery.

But no, even with th UPS connected and on AC power, my system still shuts down.

I have searched through ALL the star ups, and cant see a thing there that shouldn't be there.

is there ANY way I can prevent Windows from performing a shut-down without MY permission??

Thanks guys!

Well, it definately sounds like a software thing to me. I have a Belkin UPS as well (good 'ol 50% off code back in the day), and the software is pretty crappy. I had it installed and I removed the UPS from the setup for some reason. If the software can't find the UPS, it basically panics and starts flailing around looking for it. It was sucking 100% cpu every 30 seconds or so, and it was really getting annoying in gaming. Thankfully, I just killed the process and it was OK. I uninstalled the software later.

Anyways, if it was me, I'd just reinstall windows. I know that's a lazy approach, but I just look at this stuff as a time management issue. You could scour your whole PC for days and not figure it out, or you could take a few hours and blow it away for sure, and have a fresh OS to boot (pun intended). I'm not sure if that's a really great solution, but it's what I'd do :P

Run MSCONFIG/Startup tab and look carefully to make sure that anything relating to your UPS, uncheck it.

I would also advise that you run services.msc, stop and disable the "Uninterruptible Power Supply" service.

I hope this helps.

Edited by silkster

im guessing that it is probably scvhost.exe...

every once and a while after doing some heaving things on the cmoputer, i will have scvhost using most my cpu power, and so i ended it as well not knowing what it was and it shut me dow as well...but once i turned it back on, everything was fine

Hi Guys,

I fiXed the problem.

Im not quiet sure what eXaclty fixed it but, what I done was boot into Safe mode, and run a copy of "Autoruns" and deleted any entry I thought was connected to the UPS.

After this my system still seemed to shut down after boot, so I reinstalled ATi drivers, because just before the shut down occurred a message would pop up saying that CLi.exe has failed.

I then booted into "Debug Mode" from the F8 menu boot options, just out of curiousty, and to my amazement, no shut down after log in.

Rebooted the PC myself to see if this had solved the problem, and no, it hadn't, done it again.

So once more I booted to Debug mode, and used my PC for a while, then rebooted. This time not booting to Debug mode, and this time, NO shut down!!

Thanks for the tips guys!

PS. Was looking around for a new UPS, but it turnsout my system would need a min of a 2000VA UPS (as opposed to the 500VA I had) to get any sort of decent time out of it, and prices on those things is out of my range.