My dell makes noise!

oldfett

I currently own a Dell Inspiron E1505 Laptop. I recently found that it makes a humming noise when running and an intermittent small squeaking noise, and it is driving me up the wall! I talked to Dell as some may have read my other thread and they were none to helpful and wanted me to run a diagnostic, which the computer passed fine. I have no idea what it is, I took out the battery and just ran with power, then just battery. The CPU fan revs up and down with no noise either. Here is the kicker though... it only makes this noise in windows, in the BIOS, during the diagnostic it makes no noise, nearly silent.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

This may be a stretch but my best guess would be a fan for the gfx. In the bios the gfx would be giving off little to no heat since it's doing nothing graphically intensive so the fan wouldn't be running. In windows it may just be enough graphically to cause the card to generate enough heat to start its fan. Like I said it's a stretch but after reading of your problem it's the first thing that came to me.

The laptop you have most likely has a hard drive near failure. I have seen this, especially with the 40GB drives, if I remember correctly they were Seagate. The agency I work for ordered approx. 600 laptops 2-3 years ago and the majority ended up needing hard drive replacements in less than a year. Better back up your data before tragedy strikes......

The laptop you have most likely has a hard drive near failure. I have seen this, especially with the 40GB drives, if I remember correctly they were Seagate. The agency I work for ordered approx. 600 laptops 2-3 years ago and the majority ended up needing hard drive replacements in less than a year. Better back up your data before tragedy strikes......

Shouldn't that have shown up with dells crapnostic software? Oldfett if you dont have it already download and burn yourself a copy of TMODs cd. It's mainly for DFI bios flashes but also has a plethora of tools including a bunch of hd diagnostic programs (it's great to have when working with any computer).

Well I don't think its the hard drive as I can do read and write tests on it through Tool Star and it makes no noise. I can also cycle the CPU fan up and down and it makes no noise either. I will have to check to see if there is a fan on the graphics card in this model.

Well I don't think its the hard drive as I can do read and write tests on it through Tool Star and it makes no noise. I can also cycle the CPU fan up and down and it makes no noise either. I will have to check to see if there is a fan on the graphics card in this model.

you said it made no squeek when first powering on when the fan cycles through? if it didnt, i doubt its that because i believe the graphics fan also cycles with the cpu fan...atleast mine does. (toshiba qosmio)

so that program works with any type of motherboards? I could use it with my MSI neo2 plat. to figure out if my hdd is begining to fail?

It's not a program it's an ISO of a bootable cd mainly used for flashing DFI Bios but like I said it also has lot of tools ranging from Memtest, HDD Diagnostics, CMOS Clearing utilities, Antivirus utilities, ect... Everything but the Bioses should work on any board.

Ok here is an update.

My graphics card in my laptop is passively cooled so that removes noise from a fan from that.

We ran the laptop without the battery and the cd drive and still noise.

Ran the laptop with just battery, still noise.

This thing is driving me nuts and I don't know what to do! Its not very loud, but loud enough to drive you nuts. Any other ideas?

Ok here is an update.

My graphics card in my laptop is passively cooled so that removes noise from a fan from that.

We ran the laptop without the battery and the cd drive and still noise.

Ran the laptop with just battery, still noise.

This thing is driving me nuts and I don't know what to do! Its not very loud, but loud enough to drive you nuts. Any other ideas?

It's possible that it's electronic. I know my video card makes a squeeky buzzing noise once in a while.