Is socket 939 leaving us already?

I was browsing New Egg earlier today and there seems to be a very limited choice in the DFI socket 939 mobos with an ATI North Bridge...whats going on?

I know that there used to be around 4-5 mobos with the ATI North Bridge but now there is only 1

Well... yes and no. Obviously, 939 is on a decline ever since AM2 showed up, but it's still very strong for the low-mid range and below market, IMO. 939 seems to be taking the spot that 754 had a few months ago. With the huge price drops on 939 chips recently, there's really not much reason to buy 754 anymore, so I bet that'll go away soon. But 939 seems to be very much alive.

As far as DFI specifically, I don't recall them ever being particularly big in the 939/ATi scene. I know newegg was blowing out all the CF200 boards at like $60 a board not too long ago. Plus I recall that DFI did have a 3200 board for a while, but that might not have caught on. If I were looking for a 939/ATi board right now, I'd look at the Asus boards personally. I know their nf4 boards left quite a bit to be desired, but their crossfire boards seem to really hold their own. I built a rig with their 200 chipset for a friend and for $80 or so, that board was awesome. I've also heard really good things about their 3200 board for $125ish.

I am looking for a new board due to the fact that I need a new video card, Im still AGP so i figured I would stick with a 939 so I dont have to upgrade too many things...also I need to get a new hdd, I think mine is starting to die...but both the video card and hdd have served me well for the past 3 years I think...something like that...thanks for the input on socket 939

If you're looking for decent s939 ATi board, the Asus RD580 one is pretty good. I'm using it now and it seems up to the task, stable and it overclocks rather well. Layout leaves a few things to be desired, such as the USB header and the FDD connector, otherwise very good.

As for AGP, you won't be finding any new desirable boards for that. Everyone has made the shift to PCI-E now.. All you can really do is look for a used board. :closedeyes:

it's actually the A8R32-MVP from Asus. one of the top overclockers, stable as heck, feature loaded, and best of the crossfire boards for the X1800 and higher cards PERIOD.

if you're on a budget and only have say a single card or an x1600 in crossfire or lower the A8R-MVP is a great choice too.

in all honesty I'd pass on both of DFI's ATI based boards. for similar prices the Asus are much better (the same is NOT true of nvidia based boards)

I would base which motherboard chipset you get on which video chipset you go with. it's not that ATI and Nvidia won't work together but they limit your options when mixed.

go with an ATI if you plan to go crossfire, and nvidia if you plan to go SLI.