Expanding Foam Case

Can this P3 be passively cooled with the stock heatsink (which did not have a fan to begin with) and/or with the PSU fan?

I have a bunch of PIII 600's that I aquired for free, and I'm currently setting them up as a diskless farm (worklog/how-to post coming soon). They all run on passive cooling with the only fan in the case (SFF) being the crappy PSU fan. They don't seem to have any trouble folding full-load like that.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a bunch of PIII 600's that I aquired for free, and I'm currently setting them up as a diskless farm (worklog/how-to post coming soon). They all run on passive cooling with the only fan in the case (SFF) being the crappy PSU fan. They don't seem to have any trouble folding full-load like that.
This one is 866, but I would assume they put out roughly the same ammount of heat for the most part ;)

The PSU im using has an 80MM (or 70?) fan in it and I think im still gonna add a 120 somewhere to cool it down...

Edited by Andrewr05

3 new pictures added!

PICTURES

Since this mother board is designed to be stood upright, I mounted it on cardboard...

I'm gonna have one heck of a time keeping the HD and CD-ROM from getting pushed around from the expanding foam.

I'm gonna try and make a couple cardboard mounting brackets to hold the HD and CD-ROM...

Make sure you check out the schematic diagram thingamajig that I made up.

Im also not sure if im going to just spray the crap on there and leave it as is and ghetto rig the whole thing or if im gonna make it look "pretty" by sculpt/carving out everything...

I wanna spend the least amount of money to turn this into a functioning "FOAM PC".

so I guess, GHETTO is my choice!!...

Edited by Andrewr05

keep your eye on the prize and make this bad boy work
I will ;)

I wish this computer wasn't so proprietary, it would have been so much easier if I could have just laid the motherboard flat onto the cardboard or put a layer of foam underneath it. :(

how big do you think the case is going to be?
I have no Idea to tell you the truth, right now with the cardboard mounts and everything its only about 10x10x10, I can only assume that it will grom by about 6"'s all the way around from the foam...

• 2 months later...

If anyone was wondering, I didn't abandon this project.

I wanted to wait for warmer weather because this expanding foam is NASTY stuff!

Plus in order for it to even be worthwhile I wanted to get some more sdram and a better hardrive for it before I make everything permanent.

Expect some updates within 5 years or umm 2 weeks...

• 2 weeks later...
what you could do is put the whole thing in a mould before filling with the foam and you can make the "case" a cool shape

For example make a skull like this one but put the pc inside the mould before filling it Here

That would be pretty cool, a little out of my skill level, but its something to consider...