Iggy's Athlon Xp From Hell

Iggy

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, most of my friends who are now building C2D and 939 rigs think I'm crazy, but I do have a couple reasons for pouring so much time, money, and energy into a machine based on a 3+ year old architecture:

-I've been overclocking Athlon XP's from the beginning---my first chip was a 1600+ Palomino, and I know DFI's Lanparty/Infinity NF2 boards like the back of my hand (almost literally). Since this is partly a project for school, I decided to go with an architecture I knew well enough to create something unique.

-Even without significant tweaking and voltmodding, this machine is probably one of the top ten fastest Socket A machines ever built (at least graphically speaking), and if that's not worth something, I don't know what is. Every part has been hand picked because it is something special, and no off the shelf rig built entirely from Newegg has anything on that. Hardware becomes obsolete, world records do not.

-Along with bragging rights, appearances are almost always more important to me than actual performance. Even though I'm building $800 systems for friends that can keep pace or surpass my system in most games, I will still have the best looking, most unique box in the house at the majority of LANs I will attend. I won't deny it, this thing's a show rig and I love it. :D

Wow, thanks everybody. :D

Thanks guys! :)

@sdy: Yes, those are Klipsch Promedia 2.1's, the sub's under the desk.

Sweet. I just got the Pro Media GMX's...how do you like your regular pro media's? I was torn between those & the GMX's

I've had those Klipsch 2.1's for about a year and a half now and they're great, I went with them over the GMX's due to raw power output. Too bad I rarely use them since I got my MDR7506's. :lol:

lets see some 3Dmark05 and 06 scores for some real comparison how this thing benches!

:blink:

taken from post #1

Benchmark wise I'm pulling around 8,000 in 3DMark05 and around 4,000 in 3DMark06, although I've got a fairly substantial amount of overclocking and tweaking ahead of me to really make this machine fly.

Socket A is dead huh?

:withstupid:

:lol:

I read this thread a week ago man, I don't remember every single bit. I pulled off about 4.5k with the 4400+, rest in my sig, except a single 7800GT instead of the x1950pro in 3Dmark06. Pretty substantial scores there iggy if you ask me!