Comptia A+ Certification

Guest buick454wnos

Guest buick454wnos

I am looking to get my comptia a+ certification soon and i was wondeirng, i picked up a 70 dollar book on how to pass it ect, and i just am looking to ask how many people here have acually taken it, as i am wanting to to show i am not a dummie to employers when i do eventually get a tech job. I just want something to show that i do have computer smarts, as i do. I find the hardware part easy, except some of the legacy stuff, and i found part of the software part frusturating as it does not have anyhting about other operating systems in it. I mean, what is your guys input on this.

Mine has come in handy to a point. Depends on the employer. Some want a degree, others would rather certification. Just stay away from the companies that want to charge you extra for their "courses". You're off to a good start with a book. :)

I took it a LONG time ago. I know it's changed since my time. but I do know that the concepts shouldn't have changed that much.

know thy IRQ's. especially which one the keyboard holds :) hint hint... that used to be the most missed question on the test.

Guest buick454wnos
I took it a LONG time ago. I know it's changed since my time. but I do know that the concepts shouldn't have changed that much.

know thy IRQ's. especially which one the keyboard holds :) hint hint... that used to be the most missed question on the test.

Yeah, the book dosent even have anything about pci express suprisingly.

What other questions are on the test, can you name off a few please?

bro I took it before windows 98 was on the test :( I highly doubt most of the questions are part of it anymore.

also PCI-E isn't very hard to figure out. A+ is about general trouble shooting... it could really be ISA and it wouldn't change that.

youll need some software as well, i would suggest Testout software. a book alone will barely get you through the test. youll need about 50-70 hours of hardcore studying/classes.i swear theres a thread about A+ every week, we should make a sticky.

know every cpu and every socket. you need you irqs down, some of your memory addresses, your troubleshooting should be down to a science, so to speak. oh, and printers.

Edited by mrsinister

im going to college to get mine

you're wasting $$$ doing that.

A+ is not very difficult. it should not and DOES not require a college level course (the #1 reason I turned down the offer to actually teach it at a local community college).

and it should NOT require a whole lot of studying. it does however require a basic knowldge of computer hardware and software, and more importantly logical thinking with some common sense rolled into it.

I don't think I did more than one practice test before deciding to go take my test. and that was back in the days of it being considered a professional certification. now days it's a highschool level cert that qualifies you to work at best buy or compusa in the tech shop at the most. I require my tech's to have it, I also require them to have some vendor certs (HP / Compaq desktop type of things), or an MCP.

what you really need is an MCP or something of that level to land a decent paying job. however I STRONGLY urge people to have thier A+ before even thinking about trying that series of tests.

If you're gonna' go to College to get your A+ certification, wouldn't you be wiser to complete a course that also encompasses other certifications/competancies as well? Advanced Certificate of Information Technology IV (or similar in the US) for example... :)

I'm taking my A+ Certification through my high school at a place called Career Development Center. I haven't started it yet, but if it's anything like any of the computer classes I've taken there, it has to be a breeze.