Xp Home Upgrade

gotdamojo06

Ok, I dont exactly know how this works, but my grandpa wants me to reformat his computer and reinstall windows on it for him. The only copies of windows that he has is Windows 95 and Windows XP Home upgrade and written with a sharpie on the upgrade container he has written Windows XP upgrade from ME...

Is there one that only upgrades from ME? Can I install a copy of my Windows 2000 then upgrade with his XP Home or is there a way to fresh install with his XP home upgrade disc?

As usual any help is greatly appreciated....

As far as I know.. You can use the windows\xp - upgrade cd on any old operating system.. Win 95, 98 2000..

The best way I have found to install the xp-upgrade is by installing on a fresh clean hard drive.

When you run the xp - upgrade it will prompt you to put in a disk from 95, 98 or 2000.. then it will prompt you again to remove disk and put back in windows\xp - upgrade and will then continue to install the xp-upgrade to your system..

Thing I noticed most is that the upgrade works better when installed on clean hard drive...

Edited by madwizard

ok i just got back from his house and I couldnt get anything to work

he has a gateway machine and first I tried to put the upgrade cd while in the os, which wouldnt work (popup said that the cd is the same/older version than what is currently installed on the computer) so then I tried to put in winows 2000 and boot from the cd and format and install...that didnt work, the bios option of boot from cd first has been disabled...so then i tried to go into the bios and change that, but there is not a way to get into the bios, I tried to press delete then f1 and then f2 and finally esc, but none of these worked...dont know what to do...

Ok good call, I didnt even think about the f10 or f12...all the boards i have had were either delete., f1, f2, or esc...

Doesnt gateway block the bios or limit what you can do inside of them? <---Thats why I always build my own...Hate store bought computers for that reason

:withstupid:

I can think of a few harsher words than that, but for the sake of the holidays I'll leave it at that

My first rig was a Gateway... :blink: Thought it was the best computer out there.. ( was I dumb) Now after building my own rig I took that old Gateway and chucked it in a dumpster.. Felt good after that.. Natural high... :thumbs-up:

My first rig was a Gateway... :blink: Thought it was the best computer out there.. ( was I dumb) Now after building my own rig I took that old Gateway and chucked it in a dumpster.. Felt good after that.. Natural high... :thumbs-up:

You threw away a Folding Rig??

You threw away a Folding Rig??

nah folding probably would have killed it :lol: but back in the early 90's when it was "gateway 2000" they were the shiznit.

anyways the old gateway2000 we used to have was f10 or f11....cant remember.

Yeah, Ill have to drive over there real soon, he is going to take it to the "Geek Squad" and Best Buy to do it...so I would like to save him the $120

I had a gateway, it was one of those slim computers (used to be my sisters) that I was going to use as a folding rig and after about 2 days of straight folding, the computer started to smell like melting plastic...so yeah I dont like gateways