Vertical Hard Drives

Makaveli

Ok, so I have a SilverStone TJ-06 case and the hard drive rack is horizontal, so the hard drives sit vertically. I'm planning on getting a few new hard drives this holiday season. Now, I've heard that some hard drives can't operate if they are vertical, or their lives get cut down significantly. Is this true? If so, what hard drive brands, or models specifically that have this issue?

I can't say I'd vouch for a HDD's life being cut short because it wasn't sitting exactly level. Hell, I have several drives that just hang freely by the molex cables for weeks on end :lol: . As long as it's designed well to begin with, I don't see how it setting at an angle would hurt anything. Brands to stick with? All the ones I have dangling freely are seagates. I've done it many times over the years with 0 issues. So if you have to put one brand on the "OK" column of your list, put seagate.

Hard drives can take a lot more punishment than people give them credit for.

I ran vertical hard drives in my previous case and in my current case. The same drives have sat vertical continuously for almost 3 years now and I have yet to experience a single problem. Keep in mind that these are 10,000RPM Raptors, which means they would experience more wear and tear because of the speed. I've had a 7200RPM Seagate sitting vertically for a little over 2 years with no issues.

As long as you don't mount them upside down, you'll be fine.

Ok, so I have a SilverStone TJ-06 case and the hard drive rack is horizontal, so the hard drives sit vertically. I'm planning on getting a few new hard drives this holiday season. Now, I've heard that some hard drives can't operate if they are vertical, or their lives get cut down significantly. Is this true? If so, what hard drive brands, or models specifically that have this issue?

They will work fine, i have an old P2 that has a vertical HDD rack and it still runs.... and that was what 8 years ago??

MY HD is being held in by 1 Screw and On an Angle.... Cause I didnt want to use that stupid "Hide Wire" Cage...

Cause it would have blocked my 120MM Intake Fan... (End Rant) :rolleyes:

And I gots the TJ-05.

I think hes refering to gigabit. Which is a 30GB drive, and they're still made :rolleyes:

Man, I was installing windows and my drive fell off the top of the case (about 700mm), yet astonishingly continued installing. HDDs = strong.

hard drives are capable of withstanding immense amonut of G's (g-force) - but - dropping one on the floor is a LOT more G's than you realise ;) be careful chums.