New Processor, What Should I Get?

i have an AMD 3400+ processor..and i think its time i move up on the ladder...

whats a good processor for a midrange price?

im not looking to pay 10,000 dollar for a piece of metal

but around 200ish

thanks

there is hardly any upgrade path for you... 3400+ is near the top of 754 anyway... your upgrade option would probably be 939 as you could keep your DDR1 ram, and buy a motherboard AND a processor for $200... and then you have loads of options... a 939 mobo and 3700+ is still a really good deal if you don't want to spend, or just don't have, the money to buy intel core2duo

• 2 weeks later...
there is hardly any upgrade path for you... 3400+ is near the top of 754 anyway... your upgrade option would probably be 939 as you could keep your DDR1 ram, and buy a motherboard AND a processor for $200... and then you have loads of options... a 939 mobo and 3700+ is still a really good deal if you don't want to spend, or just don't have, the money to buy intel core2duo

Do you really need to upgrade?

Its a good CPU.

If I were you I will save more money and then change all the rig for a new one with a DX10 video card.

But this is just my opinion.

:withstupid:

I'd have to agree too your not going to get much better then a 3400+. It looks like you should look and do some price comparing of different 939 cpus and motherboards. But you also might have to upgrade your ps too 300 watts isn't a lot.

imo, a 939 cpu, nf4 mobo, and a new psu will REALLY open up the potential of you rig :)

Intel Core2Duo needs new mobo, new ram and new cpu, 939 only needs new mobo n cpu, ram can remain although equally distributed ram is ideal and i highly doubt 1.5GB is going to do you any favours... the restricting point of each upgrade is ram really, and seeing as you dont have a symetrical 2GB setup, the options are really open... 939 is a lot cheaper, but then again 939 is nearing the end of its run... that said, ANYTHING on 939 will stomp all over 754... and i mean stomp, with big titanium boots! :D

It all depends on your budget! Several suggestions have been made but it all comes down to dollars and cents.For socket 939 i would go with the FX-55 at $140

AndDFI rdx3200 $60

That motherboard just on price and the fact that it should perform good for you. The DFI NF4 ultra-d would be better but working with the dollars you have that would be my recommendation. Good Luck!