Big Typhoon Vx And Msi K8n Neo2 Plat

kendellrt

I really want to get the big Typhoon VX to start overclocking my FX-55. I am not sure if it will fit with my current motherboard, however, due to the position of the RAM, CPU socket and AGP port.

Can anyone help me with this decision?

Here is a pic, tell me what you think.

7025-1.jpg

Can you give me a reference to evidence that claim. I have never heard that before. The Neo2 Plat is an awesome mobo.

How about my own, then? When I first got this Neo2, my 3500+ would do 2.7ghz in it and now it only does 2.47ghz with all the same hardware.

My X850 is the one with the reference cooler, but I have an ATI Silencer on it that makes it a little higher. I was lucky enough to buy my card before the pipes were locked at the hardware level; I am running my Pro flashed to an X850 XT PE and the highest temp I have had is 53*C! The card seems HUGE after puting that thing on, I just hope it fits.

Anyone else heard about problems oc'ing with the Neo2 after time?

Dunno about the heatsink fitment question, but I can say that I've had my neo2, winchester 3200, and PDP XBL at the exact same overclock for 2 years straight now and have no signs of trouble. Some people may have degradation problems with the neo2, but not me.

I think the neo2 is a good board, but I will admit that I'm less impressed with it now that I can compare it to my SLI-DR. My Opteron clocked a LOT higher on the DFI than it did on the neo2.

If i could have I probably would have gotten a DFI, but the reviews were so awesome for the Neo2, I had to jump. The DFIs surfaced a little while after. I wish I would have just waited a little longer and gotten a PCI-e platform, but I thought that AGP wouldn't fade as fast as it did (as far as new gen card releases).

I know this is a long shot, but is anyone using the Big Typhoon with the Neo2?

• 1 month later...

I have a Neo2 and the only thing holding me back is my temps, I still have a stock cooler, but It seems to OC fairly well...I like it, its a lot easier than my last mobo which was a MSI Socket A Dual Processor (K7N Master I think?)

Picture of mine (Akasa Heatsink with 92mm fan).

IMG_3658s.jpg

Looks like there might be enough clearance.

I'll just grab a 120mm fan and see how it compares.

edit- with a 120mm fan placed centrally over the 92mm one there is still a few mm clearance (maybe up to 5mm).

So I suppose it depends on the central point of the Big Typhoon.

Edited by jammin