Overclocking Cpu

Ok im looking to buy a new CPU but im kinda on a budget of like 225 tops thats us. i want something that has a good chance of overclocking pretty good im im using a DFI MOBO. It needs to be socket 939. O and do the dual cores oc well if so what one its pretty good thanks for all the help.

Dual core will get you basically nowhere for games. Down the road, that will probably change, but right now you're much better off to go with a faster single core chip.

I'd say go for the 3700+ myself. It's basically the same exact chip as the Opteron 148 that I have. Later week 3700's have been clocking VERY well, and with good cooling they regularly hit 3.0ghz. For under $100, that's killer. And since I haven't really seen any other 939 chips getting much over 3ghz without crazy cooling, you really can't beat the performance. I've stuck with my 148 this long because I really haven't seen any AMD chips get much further than it can, even in the AM2 world.

an Opteron 170 has stock speed of 10x200 and 1MB per core... i've overclocked mine ~42% from 2000 MHz to 2835 MHz...

the difference in games between my Opteron 146 @ 3070 MHz and the Opteron 170 @ 2835 MHz is imperceivable... i'd have to fraps compare games to actually notice any difference...

i switched to dual core because it basically doubles my performance for video encoding and 3D rendering... and those are things that can take a LONG time, so double the performance roughly halves the wait...

Edited by hardnrg

what would be faster a 3700+ or the opty when it comes to oc. what does a optey 170 compare to in dual core. could someone please help me with this. thanks

The Opteron 148 is the 3700+. They're the exact same processor, just a different name for marketting purposes. Buy whichever is cheaper.

the difference in games between my Opteron 146 @ 3070 MHz and the Opteron 170 @ 2835 MHz is imperceivable... i'd have to fraps compare games to actually notice any difference...

You'll see this from pretty much anyone who's switched from single-core to dual-core. Dual-core has some great benefits, but not for gaming. The 170 is going to perform the same in games, but it's going to cost you over twice as much.

yup, while the slightly slower overclocked speed won't really hurt your performance in games, you'd have to have some good reasons to warrant spending twice as much for a dual core cpu...

"multitasking" doesn't count lol... smp-enabled apps do

ok so im either getting a 3700+ or a fx55 does anyone know were i can get a fx55 cheap at i know the egg had a sell but i didnt have the money then and i think its over. o and can anyone tell me of a good power supply for ocing im looking at the ocz 700 watt one.