Google: Sink Or Soar

DECwakeboarder

Google: Sink or Soar?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Sink
    • Soar

I voted sink. Everyone gets beaten out eventually. I agree that Yahoo does searches better and their results are more relevant. There are very few companies, especially in technology that are top dog for longer than 15 years.

To add to my vote. I feel the above sentiment is amplified by the fact that Google doesnt actually sell anything. Their products are free and they live off advertising revenue. All it takes is for word to get out that Yahoo has a better search and someone has a better toolbar, and Bob's online email to offer 3GB and not be frickin BETA for 3 years and Google is toast.

i feel that this is a little flawed in your logic. google doesn't sell items as such, but surely a company that sells services and has NO stock is no reason for it to fail!?

yahoo has been around longer and sure, has different ways of raising revenue. and yeah, we all know that IE has the worst browser on the planet, but will 80% of people move to firefox because it is better? nope, because people dont like change. once google has got people in their pockets, they will make everything easier, more intuitive and efficient to use, thus requiring something really special to make people want to change away from it.

top dog for more than 15 years? MS...IBM...Sony...Philips...Samsung...

the companies that sort themselves out and plan growth for the long term are the ones that survive and last for a very long time.

honestly i dont see whats so great about google. Yahoo brings up much better results for searches IMO lol.

i think its just the name, google stuck with everyone and now everyone thinks its the best. :bah:

But still I dont think google will be going out anytime soon, they already own half of the internet <.<

Yahoo's search engine is powered by google. Hmm... :huh:

Yahoo's search engine is powered by google. Hmm... :huh:

Say what? Why would Google's number 1 competitor be using its technology?

That's like saying Ford makes Dodge vehicles.....

yahoo has been around longer and sure, has different ways of raising revenue. and yeah, we all know that IE has the worst browser on the planet, but will 80% of people move to firefox because it is better? nope, because people dont like change. once google has got people in their pockets, they will make everything easier, more intuitive and efficient to use, thus requiring something really special to make people want to change away from it.

top dog for more than 15 years? MS...IBM...Sony...Philips...Samsung...

the companies that sort themselves out and plan growth for the long term are the ones that survive and last for a very long time.

The difference in your analogy is that Microsoft sells a product, and IE is integrated into that product. Microsoft makes their money from selling, as do the other four companies you listed. But only 1 of the five have been "top dog" for any considerable amount of time in any arena.

IBM has sold off large parts of its business to stay alive. Under pressure from Dell and HP, IBM will always be around in one facet or another, but I dont see them ever returning to the prosperity of the 80's.

Sony has always been a top name in consumer electronics, sure, but what do they make right now that sells better than the competition? In fact, what do they make right now that is a better product than the competition? On both accounts I can only think of the Playstation 2.

Philips has NEVER been truly great at anything. They are a second tier brand with their Magnavox brand making up their bottom end solutions.

Samsung makes some of the best products out. But they dont market like Sony, and thats why they will never compete to take Sony's CE crown.

My point is, as a consumer, when I spend money I admit that brand name influences me, a lot. When Im using something that is free, and the market for this free product is fiercly competitive, then it is a lot less important to me to stick with anyone. I dont think Google has the advantage you guys think it does when you say its a household name. Lots of companies have been household names and died...

My point is, as a consumer, when I spend money I admit that brand name influences me, a lot. When Im using something that is free, and the market for this free product is fiercly competitive, then it is a lot less important to me to stick with anyone. I dont think Google has the advantage you guys think it does when you say its a household name. Lots of companies have been household names and died...

you make a valid point that you ought to question yourself with. a free product in a free market...then if competition is fierce, google are doing extraordinarily well thus far. they have a shrewd business plan that will take them far.

as for the 15 years thing, your original post didnt mention or specify criteria...

Kash:

http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2162831

but!

they went to their own in 2004 if i remember correctly?

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0%2C1895%2C1529569%2C00.asp

Upon reading that article, I can amend my analogy to this:

Porsche makes the leather upholstery for GM vehicles, but the rest of the car is still made by GM. However, this has inspired GM to upgrade their assembly lines for more efficiency in the upcoming months.

Google has a pretty good gig with their name being used as a verb. This just re-enforces Google's name into people's head, hell some people even wanted to see Google in the dictionary. I don't hear people saying 'Ya, I'll Yahoo! that' or 'Hmmm, I'll MSN that'.

As long as their are internet users, and websites who want to get their name out there to the masses, Google will be there, and as far as I know from looking at their annual revenue statements it's a dang good corporation. If they land on hard times they have a crap load of cash to either tide them over, or start a massive marketing campaign, but I feel that, that will never happen, and Google will remain to stay on top. :)

Google has a pretty good gig with their name being used as a verb. This just re-enforces Google's name into people's head, hell some people even wanted to see Google in the dictionary. I don't hear people saying 'Ya, I'll Yahoo! that' or 'Hmmm, I'll MSN that'.

or I'll "dogpile" that... :D

As long as their are internet users, and websites who want to get their name out there to the masses, Google will be there, and as far as I know from looking at their annual revenue statements it's a dang good corporation. If they land on hard times they have a crap load of cash to either tide them over, or start a massive marketing campaign, but I feel that, that will never happen, and Google will remain to stay on top. :)

:withstupid:

So true. Honestly, I seldom use Google because I'm comfortable with Yahoo, but I will admit that I have been using Google as a verb lately. I started using it because most people say, "Just Google it." and now when people have a question or something, I just tell them to Google it because everyone seems to use it. Heck, I even see teachers and professors use Google as a verb. It is just so catchy.

Edited by UkJenT

It may have changed, but a short while ago Yahoo! Search had a small tag on it that said "powered by Google." I even read an article in PC Magazine rating search engines and making fun of people saying that Yahoo! was better than Google because they were the same results.