Looking For A New Gpu

swifty11212

Just looking at the scores on ORB.

3DMark 06 scores for 7800gtx SLi and 7900gtx SLi are pretty similar when paired with an A64 @ around 3Ghz.

A similar story for '05.

Edited by jammin

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the only gain I can see with the current nvidia cards would be to go 7950gx2, in one slot and leave the 2nd slot open for another one.

of course you could try what I'm messing with right now.

7950gx2 in 1 slot AND for a 2nd monitor an X1950XTX. gives the benfits of both worlds :) too bad I can't get my claws on a board that'll do CF in 2 slots and have a full speed 3rd slot for that 7950gx2.

the only gain I can see with the current nvidia cards would be to go 7950gx2, in one slot and leave the 2nd slot open for another one.

of course you could try what I'm messing with right now.

7950gx2 in 1 slot AND for a 2nd monitor an X1950XTX. gives the benfits of both worlds :) too bad I can't get my claws on a board that'll do CF in 2 slots and have a full speed 3rd slot for that 7950gx2.

So how does that work with drivers?? Do they not confict? Having both ATi + nVidia on there??

Can u select which graphics card a game/application is going to use? or do you just have to change the primary display to the one connected to the card you want to use??

swifty.....you have too much money if you are honestly thinking of upgrading from SLI 780GTX ....

Just looking at the scores on ORB.

3DMark 06 scores for 7800gtx SLi and 7900gtx SLi are pretty similar when paired with an A64 @ around 3Ghz.

A similar story for '05.

you do know that most of those 7800gtx scores are the 512mb versions right? and red, i guess your right about the gx2, but i think ill just wait and see how the prices change later on, for now ill play with these cards :) maybe those quad cores from intel can actually make a difference for quad sli.

no... not in the least bit. the rig I'm messing with is an MSI SLI dual opteron board. with 2 dual core opterons = 4 total cores it makes no difference. I have had 2 7950gx2's in there in SLI... remove a CPU and it scores the same as with both of them in there :( of course in OS X the thing actually uses all those cores and it FLIES

i'd probably go for the gto's, same number of pipes, just downclocked a bit...

i mean, i went for 78gt's instead of gtx's because they were almost half the price, and even though my cards have 4 less pipes, i'm still neck and neck with the 78gtx sli people (who have fully overclocked their cards, stomping those who haven't)

so, with the gto's you don't even have to make up for less pipes, just oc... might need some more voltage, but that's hardly a problem hehe

i sincerely hope all this effort is not going to end up being played on some crappy 1280 x 1024 monitor... please consider upgrading to a 1920 x 1080 display at least...

you do know that most of those 7800gtx scores are the 512mb versions right? and red, i guess your right about the gx2, but i think ill just wait and see how the prices change later on, for now ill play with these cards :) maybe those quad cores from intel can actually make a difference for quad sli.

Me = forgetting which version you had :lol:

I suppose that does make the difference somewhat more noticeable.

If you are in the financial position to do it, then why not I guess.. I'd probably still consider waiting a bit if I was in your position though (but that's just me).

i'd probably go for the gto's, same number of pipes, just downclocked a bit...

i mean, i went for 78gt's instead of gtx's because they were almost half the price, and even though my cards have 4 less pipes, i'm still neck and neck with the 78gtx sli people (who have fully overclocked their cards, stomping those who haven't)

so, with the gto's you don't even have to make up for less pipes, just oc... might need some more voltage, but that's hardly a problem hehe

i sincerely hope all this effort is not going to end up being played on some crappy 1280 x 1024 monitor... please consider upgrading to a 1920 x 1080 display at least...

ugh, that resolution is so old, im even getting titred of 1600x1200, reminds me of 640x480 :lol: its time i get a way bigger monitor :) and yea, the gto does look like a good deal too imo but reviews of the gx2 also looks good.

Me = forgetting which version you had :lol:

I suppose that does make the difference somewhat more noticeable.

If you are in the financial position to do it, then why not I guess.. I'd probably still consider waiting a bit if I was in your position though (but that's just me).

techincally yea, i just dont want to spend money and then not get the performance that i wanted, besides i need to have money ready to splurge for books i might need for my 2nd semester comming up :(

sigh... if i had the 7800gtx 512, i wouldnt be in this situation :bah: