• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i made a new thread about PS2 / PS3 / other console discussion here:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/?showtopic=64270

lets get this back on the topic of F@H ;)

DEC: i guess that was too confusing for you :rolleyes:

silverfox: This is very true, but maybe Sony has seen the problems that MS has had with the 360 overheating and they've equipped the PS3 with proper cooling

i mean obviously, they've been looking @ folding on it for a while, so they may of kept that in mind while designing the cooling solution

Edited by sdy284

i guess that was too confusing for you :rolleyes:

silverfox: This is very true, but maybe Sony has seen the problems that MS has had with the 360 overheating and they've equipped the PS3 with proper cooling

i mean obviously, they've been looking @ folding on it for a while, so they may of kept that in mind while designing the cooling solution

not confusing at all :)

the gpu folding will no doubt use 100% of processing power available to it. sony may well have equipped the PS3 with 'proper' cooling, but at what expense? initially i fear the consumer pays more. but then is the price to pay the noise output?

either way: we can't judge until sony decide we can see one working. otherwise feel free to continue to speculate.

not confusing at all :)

the gpu folding will no doubt use 100% of processing power available to it. sony may well have equipped the PS3 with 'proper' cooling, but at what expense? initially i fear the consumer pays more. but then is the price to pay the noise output?

either way: we can't judge until sony decide we can see one working. otherwise feel free to continue to speculate.

i was talking to DEC about the confusing comment ;)

As long as its quieter than the Xbox360, then i wont have a problem with it

yeah the XB360 is loud apparently - i cant say as i have only seen them in stores where it is loud by default ambient noise.

while it may be quieter, we shall have to see if it is quiet enough. i remember when Pentium 66mhz had a passive heatsink - these days more processing needs more cooling.

if i remember correctly, the PS3 processor is somewhat immense. 3 core is it not? or 3 processors? something like that :lol: which would mean a lot of heat in such a small box, plus the GPU and hard disks available. ambient temperature will also be a factor to consider.

i remain skeptical, but then i always am until proven otherwise :lol:

yeah the XB360 is loud apparently - i cant say as i have only seen them in stores where it is loud by default ambient noise.

its loud enough where you wouldn't want to be watching a HD-DVD on one cuz the fan(s) would annoy the crap out of you

Edited by sdy284

I think this is awesome, and about time. They have beeen working on this for long enough that the concerns that have been raised should already be addressed. I have been an nvidia fanboi since 2000 but currently the ATI cards are a better value. That added to the ability to fold will mean my next card will be an R580 core. Add a Zalman cooler and bring on the work units. :foldon:

I think this is awesome, and about time. They have beeen working on this for long enough that the concerns that have been raised should already be addressed. I have been an nvidia fanboi since 2000 but currently the ATI cards are a better value. That added to the ability to fold will mean my next card will be an R580 core. Add a Zalman cooler and bring on the work units. :foldon:

seriously though: do you think sony are going to use a premium cooler inside their units? i doubt it too.

its frustrating! i just wish they would stop being .-clowns and let us know what the craic is :lol:

the gpu folding will no doubt use 100% of processing power available to it.
Sometimes I wonder if you people actually read the articles, or merely the titles :rolleyes:

The majority of the processing is done on the cpu, the gpu is basically used for some added graphical features.

EDIT: I'm not targetting you SF, you're not the only one not reading the articles...hell, sdy didn't seem to read it and he was the one that posted it :P

if i remember correctly, the PS3 processor is somewhat immense. 3 core is it not? or 3 processors? something like that :lol:
No, actually it's a Cell microprocessor, completely different from what us computer users are accustom to. Here's more info.

Sometimes I wonder if you people actually read the articles, or merely the titles :rolleyes:

The majority of the processing is done on the cpu, the gpu is basically used for some added graphical features.

EDIT: I'm not targetting you SF, you're not the only one not reading the articles...hell, sdy didn't seem to read it and he was the one that posted it :P

well i've read about it on the forums here before, so took it on good faith. clearly i have been quite mistaken - the first time i've been let down by other threads giving me poor information - otherwise had i considered myself unaware, i would've read it properly. hands up - my bad.

well i've read about it on the forums here before, so took it on good faith. clearly i have been quite mistaken - the first time i've been let down by other threads giving me poor information - otherwise had i considered myself unaware, i would've read it properly. hands up - my bad.

No problem..that's the bane of the internet, I've done it too. Which is why recently I've tried at least skimming every article posted on forums recently just in case it's 1) different than one I already read, or 2) other people are interpretting it wrong, or just misinformed altogether.

No problem..that's the bane of the internet, I've done it too. Which is why recently I've tried at least skimming every article posted on forums recently just in case it's 1) different than one I already read, or 2) other people are interpretting it wrong, or just misinformed altogether.

for me, the latter. am i correct if i say i remember reading that the FaH team were developing WUs that would be handled better by GPUs compared to regular processors and WUs? thats the basis of my understanding along with a load of bits that have misinformed me.