Conroe E6600 And X1900xt Overclocks

Demonoid

Hi guys i did post this before but the post must of been so rubbish it crashed the whole website about 3 hours later oops, well here it is again with the new graphics card installed aswell.

As you can see in the sig below i went for the e6600 with the asus mobo and for desert added some g.skill ddr2 pc6400. I went to town just doing some small overclocks to see what the system can do and this is how the e6600 went .

I didnt touch the voltage much as i am on stock cooling, out of the box the cpu voltage was 1.325 so i left it at that , i proceeded to run some small fsb adjustments and a superpi 1mb run to see how we were going, to my astonishment it just kept going up to about 3100 on stock and found it to be prime stable @3ghz, infact i actually reduced the voltage to 1.3v @3ghz and it was still prime stable , what an overclocker with less than stock voltage.

Time allowing i played with the voltage a little and bumped it up to 1.5v just to see what it would go to using superpi 1mb, i managed 3.51ghz and it carried out a superpi 1mb run of 14 seconds of which i was very happy with. The overclocking was left at that point for a while as i didnt want to wreck the cpu in its first week ;) . Below are some pictures of the results etc

14sec 1mb run post-18516-1156227859_thumb.jpg

32mb run @ 3244 post-18516-1156227936_thumb.jpg

sisoft @ 3244 post-18516-1156228053_thumb.jpg

Right now for the graphics card, i purchased a 7900gt 580/1580 ko superclocked evga but it was DOA :angry2: well not quite doa it worked but gave me some strange missing texture shots on battlefield 2

, after seeing this i carried out a test on 3dmark05 of which it passed and then carried out a test on 3dmark06 which when it got to the deepfreeze test it locked up and shut the system down.

My anxiety levels elevated and i carried out a little research into some of the evga cards and to my amazement found that a lot of these cards were to highly clocked and were supplied to the market with faulty ram and one of the results to all of these cards was a lockup on the deep freeze test. (in evga defence they were very good and offered me an rma straight away but i sent it back to overclockers uk who are also good and they gave me a refund after they carried out there tests).

Now i had to get a g/card quick and i had lost confidence in the 7900gt cards so i went for the x1900xt, now this was a strange move for me as i have never owned an ATI card before, downloaded the latest drivers/catalyst installed it and i have been nothing but happy, i ran some tests and proceeded to give the card a raise in clock and memory speeds this is what results i have gained

3dmark 2005 x1900xt @ 668/1566 e6600 @ 3ghz post-18516-1156229038_thumb.jpg

3dmark 2006 x1900xt @ 668/1566 e6600 @ 3ghz post-18516-1156229126_thumb.jpg

Just as a comparison the test that the evga superclocked 580/1580 carried out was 3dmark 05 was at a higher cpu clock of 3.2ghz and this was the result post-18516-1156229423_thumb.jpg

Well my final thoughts are if you can find the money to purchase an e6600 then do so it is an absolute barn stormer of a cpu that is not overpriced like the last series of fx/x2 chips when they came out for the first time, as for the graphics cards research the 7900's before you buy (my own opinion) but dont be affraid to jump to an ATI card as i have been quite pleased.

Hope it wasn't a real boring post maybe to long but may be of some interest to some people, let me know what you think kind regards Demonoid :lol:

Edited by Demonoid

Over a month ago eVGA released new part numbers:

http://www.evga.com/articles/317.asp

and essentially recalled all OCed 7900gts at the owners discression (afterall thousands have no problems at all and are like mine, capable of 620 core rather than the advertised 580 on the stock cooler (and ~700 so far with water)

The bonus with swapping to the x1900xt is that i assume you got the 512mb version, but the drawbacks are what kept me away, at the time of purchase iwas planning on stock cooling for a few months eVGA 7900gt, un noticable idle, not noticable over game sounds while gaming, x1900xt on the other hand would have driven me crazy by now with noise. Also i have seen VERY few people with memory OCs on the XTs that even come close to the OCs ppl are getting with the XTX cards. Thoes that are seem to be giving lots of voltage, something that i would pass on without better cooling. Also there's the 35C idle/71C load max of my 7900GT compared to a similar setup of a friends x1900xt where it would commonly load at OVER 90C, that's dumping alot of heat into a room.

Water cooled my load temps are lover than his idle (i get ~33C usually, and yes his card is water cooled and yes we have the same CPU in the loop, same radiator surface area, and same VGA block on the cards)

THOES are the reasons i went with the 7 series (well linux support is also a :))

Either way the x1900s are great cards, but toasty for my liking. Now go buy yourself a nice coolign setup when your wallet recovers and OC the hell out of it all! :D

Nice scores there. I will tell you that putting an AccelleroX2 on your card will definately get rid of the noise. I max ot at about 65c after gaming for a few hours.

i will look into getting one of them coolers as the noise is the only drawback of this card .

i will look into getting one of them coolers as the noise is the only drawback of this card .

The noise of one card was bad enough but 2 was just to much at 100% fan speed. Even at 100% fan speed on the Acceleros i cant hear them over my case fans. Keep pushing on it and i'm sure you can top 15000 in 05.