Half-new Computer Won't Boot.

TyraN

then my assumption still holds on the PSU. Try getting a spare one from a different comp just to test out and see if it'll hold up after POST. If it does, then RMA this one :P

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I'm seeing. After talking with Tyran several hours yesterday VIA msn IM, he had no heatsink installed. nor did he have any thermal paste. I advised him to apply some immediately because that could be the reason why it won't remain runnning. Well, now after seeing this and some photos, I have to ask this; You have ONE HDD connected to a SATA port, right? (Anybody know where I'm going with this?)

I have a 24pin power supply in my Small form factor but I can't get it out of my SFF but i'll keep trying

UPDATE :

Ok I got it out , I can put the 24pin in but It won't reach the other 4 pins on the other side of the mobo , does it matter of not ? Is it dangerous to run the computer whitout putting the 4 pins into where its supposed to go ?

Edited by TyraN

Look on the back of the PSU and make sure you have the proper setting set in that little red switch. THere are 2 settings, 115 & 230? You should be set at 230 seeings that you are in Europe

EDIT, That remaining 4 pin connector (Black & Yellow) that is coming form the PSU should be plugged in on the Mobo near the CPU socket

My PSU'S have no Red switch , the new one which we think is defective has just written "AC 240V" in the area where the red switch normally is. And my small one which ive been using since 1 year, I dunno but there shouldent be a prob since Ive been using it since 1 year.

UPDATE : Computer runs !!!! With my OTHER PSU ! But no Video :( so I dunno,

I dunno why I get no video now, maybe because I only plugged the 24pin and not the 4pin which is too far of a reach for me SFF PSU.

Edited by TyraN

No , the whole time I had the 4-pin connector , but now I changed to an different PSU but with the different PSU I can't reach both the 24pin + the 4pin connector

and just with the 24pin connected with the different PSU I get power and it runs !!! But no video so I dunno whats happening.

Edited by TyraN

the 4 pin is an auxiliary connector that in your board may be powering things of that sort... time for a new PSU, and for me to do a happy dance after making a half decent call... despite flopping a bajillion times beforehand :lol: