Hey Guys Im New :)

OnETeN

Hello I read through the rules of the fourm so im gonna try hard to keep my spelling and grammer legibal here.

Ok i Play World of Warcraft and I recently got some cosmos's for the game. I love them dearly and id like to

keep them. I have a like 15 fps and lag like CRAZY. Ill list the innards for my comp (i dont know anything

about computers im sorry) mabye someone can help me by telling me what to upgrade or how to overclock (i

also read the basics of overclocking) I think my comp might run to hot for it cause it randomly shuts down

every now and again. Any ways i have an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 2.10 GHz, 512 MB of RAM i think i

need to upgrade, im nto shure tho but i think im running an nvida video card not shure how powerfull it is but

please help me out Thank You im also looking to achully learn about computers i know a little HTML but thats

about as easy as it comes. Im not shure if this would work but If itd be easier i DO have AIM private msg me if

youd like to really help me out Thank you ALOT.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you need to find out what kind of hardware is in your computer, you can use two programs:

1. Everest (Home Edition is Discontinued, but you can download the trialware) - http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=5&lang=en

2. SiSoft Sandra - http://www.sisoftware.net/index.html?dir=d...264&langx=en&a=

From that point, once you have found out what other hardware is in your computer, we can help you better.

K im rollin on a 1.5 meg dsl connection i never usually have problems with lag but i think im getting kinda outdated. i do have a video card im jsut not totally shure on what kind. then im dling the lavalys at the moment. ill put that beast in my sig as we speak.

*edit ok i dled it and now i have no idea on what to achully put in my sig :(

Edited by OnETeN

put everything....:

-cpu

-ram

-hard drive(s)

-mobo

-video card

and anything else i forgot.....

you'll probably want to got 939 socket.... depending on your budget..maybe..3200-3700+???

and if your comp is as bad as you say it is it may be time for a whole new overhaul, and not an upgrade...(maybe you can keep some things depending on the stats.)

also have you defragmented, virus scanned and stuff??? could be that your loaded with spyware and stuff....i dunno just a thought

*EDIT*: is this a pre-built(ie. HP, DELL, COMPAQ) or did you/someone actualy build it them selves?

and oh ya..Welcome to OCC!!!!

thanks guys, so far im pretty glad to be here some one built it for me and i just updated all my antiviris and spywear i defragged less than a week ago so i should be good there. did i list all of the things needed in my sig?

The video card and processor are definitely holding you back. I am not a RPG/MORPG user, but I do know that WoW will take a lot of power out of systems, even ones that are equipped with 9800 Pro's and better. All I am seeing right now is a system that was designed for light gaming and Internet/Word Processing usage. The motherboard being VIA KM400 based with an MX4000 video card.....

The video card and processor are definitely holding you back. I am not a RPG/MORPG user, but I do know that WoW will take a lot of power out of systems, even ones that are equipped with 9800 Pro's and better. All I am seeing right now is a system that was designed for light gaming and Internet/Word Processing usage. The motherboard being VIA KM400 based with an MX4000 video card.....

agreed, you'll probably want to upgrade, your processor, video card, and you'll have to upgrade your mobo aswell.....(maybe ram... if you want) do you have a maximum spending limit on the upgrade cost, so i can suggest the best bang for the buck?

if you can't upgrade - make sure you load the latest video drivers from www.nvidia.com - download and install those, and you will see better performance since you are using Microsoft's generic video drivers now..

yea the system is chuggin, but there is plenty you can do to get it to run better aside from droppin bills on new shiny stuff

Welcome to OCC. If you're looking to upgrade, here's the order of priority, IMO:

1. videocard

2. RAM (increase it to 1GB, you'll see a world of difference)

3. cpu/mobo

The easiest one to do is the RAM. Do you know what speed you're running? It'll either be listed as something like PC2700 or DDR333. Look for either of those wordings and report back.

Your videocard is holding you back the most. Your cpu isn't that bad, but unfortunately, without upgrading your cpu/mobo, you'll be limited in the videocards you can support. The newest (and best) cards are only available in pci-express (as opposed to AGP, which is what you're using now) (These terms refer to the slot it gets put into). Seeing as how dated your mobo is, you won't have a pci-express slot, so in order to get a pci-e videocard, you would have to upgrade your mobo, and thus usually your cpu as well.

Your upgrade options really all depend on your budget. If you're short for cash, then you can go with a nvidia 6600-6800 in agp, an extra 512mb of whatever RAM you're currently running, and not worry about your cpu/mobo just yet. Those upgrades will still provide great improvement over your current system.

Just don't let others here talk you into spending more money than you're comfortable doing. Many people here have a tendency to go for the very best, so that's why setting a budget, and letting us know what that budget is, will help all of us help you more efficiently.

PTFL!