P4 S478 Ihs Removed

After multiple attempts of trying to budge this IHS with dental floss, it became a no-go process. So after that I decided to use hardnrg's traditional method of the STANLEY KNIFE.

15 minute process and ta da!

post-78215-0-57041300-1347089036_thumb.png

What chip was that?  I thought that most P4s would be ruined if you try to remove the IHS...

611688[/snapback]

mine was...i don't know why...it wasn't glued on or anything =(

Did that with mine just a minute ago. Used a razor blade from a box cutter I had lying around. Took < 1 minute. No scratches, no bent pcb or lost pins, just a 4*c cooler cpu.

It's a Northwood, 512k, 400, 2.6 stock. I'll see if I can get it to clock any higher than 3.2!

Edit- Best thing about mine, is that I have the CNPS7000B-Cu. Since it doesn't rely directly on the cpu standoff to make contact, I didn't have to file anything down. Just screw the screws into thier holes (no pun...). Can't really over tighten it either.

Pentium 4 Northwood 1.8ghz 512kb cache etc ..

Turns out I kinda gashed a left bottom corner of the core as you can see.

dsc012365cj.th.jpg

Now I have to modify the retention bracket for the cooler to make some contact. I don't know if the CPU is still alive since I hurt it bit but lets hope it works

and lets say if it doesn't work... could I re-glue on the IHS and put it in it's original box and sell it?

Edited by sasybotnoodlehead