Raid 0+1, How Does It Work?

Psychotic_god

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am searching around to help you. During my search I found this I hope you find this imformative.

606044[/snapback]

Very informative, this also makes a bit more sense since it looks like you can access the IBOS without an OS installed, I could have reached that conclusion through deductive reasoning but its good to know the facts. Thank you my brother, I appreciate the help.

<SIGH>

Wow, so much mis-information here. A lot of these posts read like someone who just wants to say -something- even though have have nothing to add to the topic.

Yes, RAID-5 is relatively rare and most people will need a PCI raid card to support it. That is correct. What no one has said yet, however, is that those of us who own an SLI-DR are in that "relatively rare" subset. The SLI-DR DOES support RAID-5. The extra 4 SATA ports on the SLI-DR which are not found on the Ultra-D are on a separate controller that does support RAID-5.

What you will need to read about is whether these ports lock with the PCI lock and are therefore safe to use on an overclocked system. I know that the four main ports all lock, and my assumption would be that the extra ones do too, but I don't know for sure. That would be the only conflict in OCing your system.

Raid-5 is a good choice if you want speed and redundancy with 3 drives, but it's also a bit trickier. The redundancy is not as simple as a mirror set (Raid-1), and even though your data is "safe" when you lose a single disk, it still needs to be "recovered" by rebuilding the raid set. Mirroring, on the other hand, makes two exact copies of your data, so no "rebuilding" is needed if a disk is lost. I still think the best approach is just a stripe set (Raid-0) and a backup drive for simplicity and speed.

Guest Jessedvd
what is this computer that you are running.  If you are just after performance go with RAID 0 - i'm not sure how many non server motherboards can support RAID 5 anyway unless ur planning to use a RAID controller that u are pluggin in.

604214[/snapback]

here is a good way to explain Raid

http://www.sohoconsult.ch/raid/raid.html :thumbs-up:

You need to make sure that your Rig will boot of the Raid First and that this disk is not part of the Raid. Also the disk in question here will be catagorized as a "Free Disk" under the nVidia Raid Manager

If I am wrong, please correct me.

Psychotic_God :) . I know exactly what your doing because I am doing the EXACT SAME THING AS YOU. I raided zero my two raptors and want my 74g raptor as my CD Library (Or storage). But seeings that I am Oc'd past 2400MHZ I cannot add this drive in the other remaining ports. So..I need to wait for my PCI SATA Raid Controller Card to show up. (next tuesday).

You need to make sure that your Rig will boot of the Raid First and that this disk is not part of the Raid. Also the disk in question here will be catagorized as a "Free Disk" under the nVidia Raid Manager

If I am wrong, please correct me.

Psychotic_God :) . I know exactly what your doing because I am doing the EXACT SAME THING AS YOU. I raided zero my two raptors and want my 74g raptor as my CD Library (Or storage). But seeings that I am Oc'd past 2400MHZ I cannot add this drive in the other remaining ports. So..I need to wait for my PCI SATA Raid Controller Card to show up. (next tuesday).

608086[/snapback]

Well then, I have all the info I need. Thank you all for your help, especially P_A