Third Generation Raptor Found In The Wild.

BabyBalrog

So now i'm confused because they name the spec as 3.0 Gb/sec yet the actual transfer is 300 MB/sec it might have somethign to do with how sata uses a 10 bit word, but i'm nto sure. Anyways the MAX bandwioth comign off the new Raptor is 300 MB/s which is only seen on cache hits... but i ahve hopes of over 100MB/s streaming.

602992[/snapback]

SATA-IO (Sata-II) is 3 gigaBIT per second, which is roughly 300 megaBYTES per second.

I'm more concerned over the random access time (which is what make a hard drive fast) than streaming speed. I can do a constant 150+ MB/s from my array, but it's limited by access times so in reality it never really uses that bandwidth.

I can get 85 off my RAID-1 and get good seek times about 7ms, so i'm content, unfortuanatly I dont run windows off it, it's all for storage. I think seek times are very important, but i do a lot of file transfer file streaming og 200MB, to a few GB and really would like to have better theroput, so as long as the drive stays defraged, the streaming matters, for Windows and page file the seek time is King, and for .... something... cache size is best... ?

http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?...03entry217603

storage review had a goot talk abotu seek times.

can't find a good argument for cache sizes....