Suggestion: Allow Off-site Avatars

OptikaliLLusion

I think we should be able to allow off-site avatars.

Pros:

A) Larger filesize allowed since it doesn't take up space on the site

Cons:

None that I can think of... pretty sure that IPB can resize images even with off-site avatars.

There is a reason for the limited file size. Not that it takes up space on the server, it's for the people that are still on dial up. Got to remember, the bigger and more images there are, the longer it takes for them to see anything and why would OCC try and get rid of them as they could live somewhere that highspeed just isn't there or isn't cost effective.

Ah, right. Guess my breakdancing bear and king-kong panda avatars will have to be on other forums :/

How about adding increased file size limit as an expensive store item?

600266[/snapback]

that would still defeat the object of having limited file size for those who are on 56k lol

Ah, right. Guess my breakdancing bear and king-kong panda avatars will have to be on other forums :/

How about adding increased file size limit as an expensive store item?

600266[/snapback]

y can't u just try to open them up in ImageReady and take out some frames and/or reduce quality to get it to fit under the limit? that's what I did for mine. Took awhile, but was worth it in the end.

How do you reduce quality?

600703[/snapback]

for one, if you open up an animated gif you find online, you'll probably have 30+ frames. In most cases you do not need this many, so you can delete every other one (or even more). The way animations and the human eye work, as long as you don't crop out too many, it'll still look like it's supposed to. Secondly, choose "save optimized as..." and then you should have various options like diffusion and #of colors, etc etc that you can play around with. make sure you preview the optimized version though as you're tweaking because I can tell you one thing it doesn't like too much is a lot of anti-aliasing along transparent edges.

Maybe we could add quick preferences for dialup and broadband users...the dialup one would disable avatars and sigs and w/e else isn't neccessary, while the broadband version would include everything.  This would allow for slightly bigger avatars and sigs.

601813[/snapback]

yes, i see the "disable avatars" option on many other sites. it's a possibility i suppose.