Installing Xp-120 On Skt 939

CoolMaster

So I still have an xp-120, dont feel like buying another heatsink, and I looked ant the instructions, ( i bought it awhile ago) and it only has it for k8 and p4 socket 478, theirs like another black thing for it in the bottom, but will it fit on socket 939? or do I need to buy something, or like is there a newer model or something?

and will it work with the nforce 4 ultra version infinity 939 board, I didnt see anything about it on thermalright's website

:blink:

Edited by CoolMaster

Yes, the XP-120 will fit on (some) Socket 939 motherboards. I do know that it will NOT install properly, without the bending of a capacitor, on the MSI Neo2 Platinum motherboard. If you do not feel comfortable with bending a capacitor, the XP-90 will install and perform just as well.

So I still have an xp-120, dont feel like buying another heatsink, and I looked ant the instructions, ( i bought it awhile ago) and it only has it for k8 and p4 socket 478, theirs like another black thing for it in the bottom, but will it fit on socket 939? or do I need to buy something, or like is there a newer model or something?

and will it work with the nforce 4 ultra version infinity 939 board, I didnt see anything about it on thermalright's website

:blink:

576965[/snapback]

you speak of the XP-120 like you are settling for something sub par.......the XP-120 is still the best of the best bro!

:D

Judging by where the socket is on the motherboard, I can see a problem fitting memory into the 2 lower DIMM slots, especially if the memory has heatspraders. Seeing you are running Extreme series RAM, that stuff stands up quite tall.

Edited by FxXP

no it's not extreme anymore I need to change my sig, but, does anyone have a infinity nforce 4 ultra motherboard with xp-120 on it?\

and do u need to use the k8 black thing to install it, or will what comes on the 939 mobo's work ok?

well if it installs the same as my si-120, then yea the black piece it comes with will need to be installed as well. btw, the xp-120 sure is good and all, but with that capacitor prob it has with my neo2 plat, i got the si-120, works just as good too.

i think it depends on wether or not the backing that came with the board is sturdy enough not to let the board tweak when your moving it around. unless its metal i sugesst go with the backing that comes with the hsf.

swifty i believe thats why they made the si because of the capacitor problem

They made the SI due to RAM being too tall, especially when it came to people using XMS Pro and Extreme series RAM.

i think it depends on wether or not the backing that came with the board is sturdy enough not to let the board tweak when your moving it around. unless its metal i sugesst go with the backing that comes with the hsf.

swifty i believe thats why they made the si because of the capacitor problem

576984[/snapback]

They made the SI due to RAM being too tall, especially when it came to people using XMS Pro and Extreme series RAM.

576986[/snapback]

yea, the capacitors and the ram's height was the main reason why TR made the si-120, i still made a right choice, besides my future operton is going to use it :D