Amd San Diego 3700+ Vs. 4000+

I am most likely going to build a new PC within the next couple of weeks. It will be my first AMD system, mostly because I won an Abit AX8 mob at QuakeCon 2005.

I saw that there's a little less than a $100 difference between the San Diego 3700+ and the 4000+. I don't mind spending the extra money for the 4000+ but my question is, is it worth the extra money? Will I really see a gaming difference between the two chips? Keep in mind I've build and used Intel all my life so I know next to nothing about AMD CPUs.

Thanks for the help!

I would also go with the 3700+. The increase in performance isn't going to be worth the 4000+ and as the others have said, if you really wanted to you could easily overclock the 3700+ to 4000+ and even go beyond.

IT really depends on your cooling and the stepping you get. Mine tops out at 2.85 and nothing will get it any higher on air cooling. My ram is good to 315fsb but the memory controller on my chip blows and wont run over 270 stable.

I am most likely going to build a new PC within the next couple of weeks.  It will be my first AMD system, mostly because I won an Abit AX8 mob at QuakeCon 2005.

I saw that there's a little less than a $100 difference between the San Diego 3700+ and the 4000+.  I don't mind spending the extra money for the 4000+ but my question is, is it worth the extra money?  Will I really see a gaming difference between the two chips?  Keep in mind I've build and used Intel all my life so I know next to nothing about AMD CPUs.

Thanks for the help!

548066[/snapback]

As far as I'm aware, the performance difference is less than 10%... nearer 5%. Go for the 3700+. The 4000+ doesn't warrant the higher pricetag.